BLOS-17 Stainless Steel

Gliden07

Anybody know of a H/T recipe for this stuff?? Done a little looking on line but nothing yet??

The link doesn't have anything listed and a google search for BLOS-17 SS doesn't turn up anything on the steel. The only reference I found was to a "BLOS17 Mountain Hunt Knife Blank" from Pakistan, and I think the BLOS17 was a part number rather than a type of SS steel. Since that steel doesn't turn up in a search, I'd be VERY leery of it.

"IF" you do find more about it, please update this thread.

The link doesn't have anything listed and a google search for BLOS-17 SS doesn't turn up anything on the steel. The only reference I found was to a "BLOS17 Mountain Hunt Knife Blank" from Pakistan, and I think the BLOS17 was a part number rather than a type of SS steel. Since that steel doesn't turn up in a search, I'd be VERY leery of it.

"IF" you do find more about it, please update this thread.
Still searching? I found the same blade Ken. I think you may be right. Story goes a good friend got a blank from a good friend of his that is sick. He wants me to make him a blade as remembrance of him when he gets called home. Normally I would have said "NO WAY" but under the circumstances I agreed to it.

Yep, under the circumstances what choice do you have? Too bad it wouldn't be a high carbon blade. Is there a enough room you could cut a small portion to do a test HT? Tell them this is a "display only" blade:)

Yep, under the circumstances what choice do you have? Too bad it wouldn't be a high carbon blade. Is there a enough room you could cut a small portion to do a test HT? Tell them this is a "display only" blade:)
I found the blade! Ken you were correct it is a stock number. As far as I can tell its shaped and hardened! All I have to do really is handle it! Comes with a brass guard! I'm waiting now to get the blade. I heard "BLANK" and thought his buddy made a knife shaped object or it was a cut out blade that a lot of places sell, no bevels or finish work done.

Last edited:
I found the blade! Ken you were correct it is a stock number. As far as I can tell its shaped and hardened! All I have to do really is handle it! Comes with a brass guard! I'm waiting now to get the blade. I heard "BLANK" and thought his buddy made a knife shaped object or it was a cut out blade that a lot of places sell, no bevels or finish work done.

If you are able, please do a hardness test. My dad picked up a couple of really nice-looking blades from Pakistan. When I hardness tested them, one came in a 40 HRC and the other came in at 20 HRC! I'm not sure if they could have been hardened, but I just told him to return them. They were sold as being 59-61 HRC.

If you are able, please do a hardness test. My dad picked up a couple of really nice-looking blades from Pakistan. When I hardness tested them, one came in a 40 HRC and the other came in at 20 HRC! I'm not sure if they could have been hardened, but I just told him to return them. They were sold as being 59-61 HRC.
I get what your saying but I'm in this one regardless of Rockwell Hardness. There are some circumstances on this build (see third post if you havnt already). So final hardness isn't gonna matter at this point. Waiting to get blade/Blank now. I will test anyway just to be able to tell him whether he should or shouldn't use. I have a feeling it may become a large letter opener?

I get what your saying but I'm in this one regardless of Rockwell Hardness. There are some circumstances on this build (see third post if you havnt already). So final hardness isn't gonna matter at this point. Waiting to get blade/Blank now. I will test anyway just to be able to tell him whether he should or shouldn't use. I have a feeling it may become a large letter opener?

I completely understand! Just wanted to give you a heads up to test it. Like you said you can decide whether it's a usable knife or a display piece.

Back