Boat knife question

Alden Cole

A family friend has asked me if I can make a knife for chores on his boat. So far I can only heat treat simple, high carbon steels. I can put a patina on the blade, but would this be enough to stop the knife from corroding on the boats conditions? Once again I am asking for advise. There are more questions where this one came from, so thanks for keeping on answering.

I assume your talking "boating" in a salt water environment? If so, there is nothing that I am aware of that you can do to carbon or alloy steel, that will prevent it from corroding/rusting in that type of environment. Even the majority of steels that are labeled "stainless" will rust/corrode in a salt water environment.

Generally if it's corrosion resistance you want, for a salt water environment, choosing a steel with the highest percentage of chromium is a requirement. Personally, if you don't feel comfortable working with that type of steel, then I'd refuse the request. OR, if you want to make it out of the type(s) of steel you feel comfortable working with, make is crystal clear to the family friend that IT WILL RUST, and there's not a whole lot they can do about it, except to take extreme care of the knife.

Pick a stainless that's known to be a good performer in the areas you need, and send it out for heat treat. Not super economical that way, put it's an option.

What Ed said...To help (not solve) the problem you could coat the blade with Gun Kote (I like satin clear) but if your coating goes perfectly the small cutting edge will still rust because it will not be coated. The rest of the blade would fare better. Just a suggestion.

Thanks guys, I think I will probably just not make it until I can make it right. Personally, I want everything I make to be made by myself, I don't like the idea of sending knives out to be ht'ed by other people, it works for some, but I just don't like the idea. I'm hoping to get a heat treating oven soon, in which case I can work with stainless.

Personally, I would use a high carbon steel blade during salt water trips because I know how to care for the knife. If your friend knows what to do to care for high carbon steel especially around salt water then maybe it’s not an issue. If they are gonna get it wet then put it back in the sheath and throw it in the boat box then maybe not.

Even with stainless, remember a mirror polished finish will make a big difference with corrosion. I've had knives go on boats in salt water here in Florida and never heard of problems, but they have to go to an owner that's going to show some due care, not use them then just put them away as is.

Back