Bodam knife thread

bodam

I've only been making knives for about 6 months now. I started with a HF 1x30 and once I decided that I actually enjoyed it enough, I convinced my wife to let me buy an Esteem Grinder.

I only do stock removal, and try to use exotic woods that I find local. I sway from CA finish to Tru-oil finishes. And I typically use a liner for contrast.

I've seen some other guys document their journey into knifemaking, so I wanted to document mine too!

Now I have a metal and wood bandsaw setup (that I suck at using) an Esteem, and home stabilizing setup.

I'll post some of my work, I'll try and get them in order, but I honestly can't remember which order I made them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423166723.624426.jpg

This was my first completed one I think. Simple small blade with Purpleheart handle. Nothing fancy. I was just amazed that I competed one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423166749.577034.jpg

This is the first one I actually made for someone. My buddy's Dad is into knives, so I figured I'd make him one. Gave it to him for free and he was blown away. Felt good. I'm making him another.

Blackwood handle, no liner. Shaped after a Boker I saw online, and I lover the recurve style of blade. I call it the "choad"

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423166769.820345.jpg

This is a larger blade that someone on another gun forum posted. I love the shape of the blade and I told him I was going to copy it, lol. Lacewood handle with blue liners. Tru-oil finish. The pic make sit look huge, but the blade is only about 5".

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423166795.899834.jpg

Another Choad. Rosewood handles.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423166816.937060.jpg

This was my first attempt at a Paring knife. I made this for another Buddy's Mom, in exchange for her making me a quilt. This is also the first tiem I attempted to polish a blade. I always just leave a satin finish, but I wanted this to be a little prettier.

I made a simple wallet for it, so she could safely store it in a drawer.

This might be my nicest leather work so far. She didn't believe me that I hand stitched it...

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423166840.611774.jpg

I wanted to try and make a copy of a Sharpfinger style, so I tried this one. This one is for the buddy that I made his Dad one. He was so stoked for his Dad, I kinda felt bad.

Ebony handles with thong hole (my first). I actually added a paracord lanyard to it, just because I wanted to learn how to tie them.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423166863.614969.jpg
This was my attempt at a skinner for a guy at work. I hate the design, but he seemed to love it. Simple Walnut handle, no liners. Kept it simple to be a user knife.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423166908.353538.jpg

The center knife is a smaller version of the lacewood knife from above. I love Cedar, the marbling and colors. Tru-oil finish on this one.

Last edited:
Your progress sure shows up in the progression of knives. The lady is right - you did some GOOD stitching on that wallet. Really nice. I'd not thought about using something like that for the ladies to store knives in drawer - good idea.

That cedar does look nice - I'd not thought about cedar before. BTW, you mentioned in first post you only used "exotic woods that I find local - you sure find some NICE woods locally. I only find simple things like oak, pecan, etc locally. I have to dig in my stash pile to find anything like rosewood 'n Bacote. Locally for Lacewood? Rosewood? ebony? (Just picking at you - you're doing good work.

Ken H>

There are two local hardwood stores that stock some nice exotics. I save money by buying larger sticks.

Especially now since I can stabilize at home.

I hadn't even considered being able to buy that wood "locally" from a hardware store. Good deal - you know the RoseWood nor Ebony really require stabilizing? Good wood.

Ken H>

Not hardware, hardwood lol

Yes I know that. Don't think the lacewood needed it either but it sinks now!

We have a store here in Houston that sells all sorts of exotics. Ebony, lacewood, etc.

I got some zircote, kingwood and spalted maple yesterday.

Got three pieces, 1 x 3 x 29 for $59

"Hardwood"!!!!! Of course. About the best we've got around here is Ace.... hardware! {grinning}

Ken

Back