Boker MK1

Mike k

Hi, I am looking at a Boker knife on ebay that I am sure is a MK1, Boker still makes the MK1 how can you tell the difference between the original WWII knife and the new ones I can't tell the difference thanks. Mike

If you want a good WW-2 Military knife, take a look at the PAL-36. These are 6" blade fighting knives that are made of great steel. And have the usual compressed leather handles so they are easily restorable. And the best part is that compared to other knives (such as the MK2/USMC Ka Bar or the Cattaraugus 225Q), they can still be found reasonably cheap. You can likely get a nice one for $50. if you watch the auctions.
Here's I do with them. As acquired off eBay for $25.
IMAG0437_zpsf52e77f8.jpg
After refurbishing (Note I made a few changes). I have less than $50. invested (including sheath) and have a much better knife than you can buy new for $50.
IMAG0426_zps058c1622.jpg

Hi thanks I have been looking at the pal, I have a question. I noticed that the several I saved in ebay have an area directly ahead of the guard that is narrower than the blade but it isn't on the knife you pictured, is that typical of a certain run of knives or some other quirk. If it was different brand I get that but I have read about some strange think happening when knives are made especially when the government is involved. Thank I appreciate you help Mike

Yes, actually all PAL-36 knives have that. You just can't see it in my pics due to my poor photography. All PAL-36 knives are made the same by the same company. There were some variations in handle spacers and knife blade finish. Most were just plain. Some were Parkerized.
Another thing to watch for is a heavily worn/sharpened blade. Basically on a unworn example, the blade edge is equal to the bottom of the point where the blade gets thicker that you referred to. On a worn blade you will see an upward curve from that point. These are 70 year old knives, so you can expect some wear on most of them. But you don't want too much. Note in pic of blade w/o handle. The part you refer to and a slight upward curve from there to sharpened part of blade. On an unused blade, this would not be there. This is a moderately used blade.
IMAG0429_zps8b8fa019.jpg

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the tip on the blade wear, I am looking at some now, I looked closer at one the blade tip was rounded over like it was used to dig with.

Back