Bone Hunter #5...

TacticallySharp

KNIFE MAKER
For a friend that brought me two tables full of cow bone. He found the bones while horseback riding on a farm.

Blade forged 1084 fg, 10" long. Overall lenght 16".
Handle femer bone with dyed cocobolo and leather spacers.
Sheath made from Herman Oak leather. 6 coats of Aussie to protect the leather.

rps20131214_205513.jpg

Hey George,
I think I have a tub of those bones from the same friend.
Very nice looking knife. You did that bone justice.

Wade

Really like that blade profile, and the handle just sets it off! Looks like it could skin a buffalo and lift a scalp. :)

I love a good bone handle, and this one is a good one. You did a very nice job adding some color to it, it gives it that relic vibe...

Thank you for the kind words!

Wade, that bone came from another Cowboy friend. I still have a half dozen or so bones from our friend. He's the one who turned me on to the bone handles and your method of dyeing the bone with the purple stones. Hopefully I will be getting some hog skulls soon. Let me if you could use one for anything.

George

Thank you for the kind words!

Wade, that bone came from another Cowboy friend. I still have a half dozen or so bones from our friend. He's the one who turned me on to the bone handles and your method of dyeing the bone with the purple stones. Hopefully I will be getting some hog skulls soon. Let me if you could use one for anything.

George

Hey George,

I love doing the skulls with the "purple stones". If you have one that you are willing to give up I would really appreciate one.
I should have known that there are more than one cowboy down here.:biggrin:

Wade

Wade you got one as soon as they arrive. Another Hialeah cowboy friend has a small 2,800 acre spreed in central Florida. He's going up for the holidays and has agreed to bring me back a few. They hunt the hogs they eat and has a bone pile of past hunts.

I'll let you know when it's here.

George

That just looks wicked.

Did you do anything to stabilize it?

I'm just starting to dabble with antlers, but bone has peak my interest as well.

and what are the purple sotnes???

I didn't stabilize it. Since must of my bone is reclaimed from my friends ranch it has sit out in the open for long periods of time. I clean the with TSP, shape them , and then color them. I use leather dye to create dark tones and contrast. Followed by dipping them in potassium permanganate. Dip, wipe dry, and polish until I get the effect I am looking for. I do put hidden 416 SS pins in the tang. Also the epoxy I use is West Systems GFlex.

Aussie is a leather conditioner and treatment formulated in your country and used to weatherproof leather.

"Developed for Australian horsemen, Aussie Leather Conditioner helps leather to withstand hot, dry climate conditions. Contains natural beeswax. A must for saddle owners in bitter cold, dry areas as well as those in hot, dry climates. Perfect for use on saddles, tack, boots, gun cases and handbags."

Back