Boot leather scrap for sheaths

I do drill the holes, but not too big. You want it to be tight, or you want to mold the leather so it will grab. I don't know man, try the leather/kydex mix if you want. For me it would just be extra steps that aren't necessary unless you had a good reason or just wanted something unique or something. It might be cool if you can get the leather tight enough around the plastic. I was just saying the above to say that if you make them tight, there's enough retention to hold very well with leather only.

Chrome tanned then retanned leather is what they use for boots. So dunno how thats going to work?
I also found out that the gentlemen that own and run the shop worked with several blade masters in washington and here in oregon. Clemons is their last name, they know a fellow they refer to as ford.

Last edited:
Double Tanned is good, not the best but ok for work. Some of the nicest sheaths I've seen have been made out of boot tops. The stitching is wonderful on some. I've been thinking over some designs using boot tops. I do line them though, 2/3 ounce leather is cheap insurance.

EDIT to add, my first pair of hand made boots is a future project, still have them from high school. They will clothe a special blade. :D

Last edited:
Ok, so what your saying is it will be a good enough sheath but not top of the line? Most every one I'm making sheaths for just want a working sheath to cover the sharp thing. Thanks for the info leatherman. Anxiously await to see the special blade those boots clothe.

Double tanning unites the best features of each tanning method, water resistance and leather stiffness.

If you have that thinner 2/3 ounce veggie tanned leather for lining and added stiffness it would be a good idea.

I look forward to seeing what you do with em!

I will see about finding some thinner leather for a liner. I know they are going to be plain and clean to start. That is my goal of a clean,simple, durable sheath.

Heres my first attempt. Had needles and synth sinew but stich spacer and skiver groover are on the wish list. Is wavy stitches but solid.
df1baa092bdb86fcbd3793db8c9b897e.jpg

Hey wall e, Not bad. If ya have access to a grinder with a red teflon wheel you can buff the edges and put a small bevel on the edges. And before I do the buffing I moisten the leather and gently tap the seam. It will make the seam flat.

Thanks leatherman. They have kydex inside to retain the blade and to protect the leather.

Back