Bowie attempt

Kev

It seems as though at some point everyone must try and make a Bowie knife, what ever jenre they choose to follow.
Here is a WIP if my attempt. My initial intent was to leave a large flat at the top of the bevel, but it was just to heavy to be even potentially wielded. So I kept grinding up to the spine, and it is actually more manageable.
This is much bigger than my usual builds, and at .264 thick is twice as thick as I’m used to working with. Also it’s A2. I’ve made several knives from A2, but it’s not my go-to.
It actually looks better in person, the photo has some weird reflections.

B49C6C07-F84B-4FF0-B09D-8DA7C5516DBC.jpeg
D04D5720-213F-4C61-BD75-72A212DC357D.jpeg

The drawing and what you did are different on where the grind ends...I really like you did...looks wicked sharp!

The drawing and what you did are different on where the grind ends...I really like you did...looks wicked sharp!
Yeah. Originally I had planned to leave the bevel short of the back of the blade, but it was just too heavy. I considered a fuller, but I wasn’t confident with the equipment that I have. I’m confident I can reach a point where it all balances well, if I get the handle correctly proportioned.

They are fun to do as a change from our normal style of blades and when you discover your own particular take on the bowie, they can be very rewarding as well.

Old post, but I finally dug this guy out of the drawer and started working on it again.
Lots of mistakes, I’ve got a list 25 items deep to fix and/or watch for on the next attempt.
It’s an interesting excercise to pick up a knife after you’ve done several others and see how far you’ve come.
3481AC49-7D60-4483-B3DD-AE20F346199C.jpeg

A7238428-4930-41B8-B7CE-400E71F99629.jpeg

Back