Bowie WIP

KenH

OK, let's see if this is enough for a WIP, it shows what I did in building this Bowie. The 2019 KITH’s idea of making a Bowie this year seemed very interesting to me so I have been following along with several of the builds. REALLY NICE builds to. Jason Volkert’s design really caught my attention. I took the liberty of using Jason’s blade profile, some of his handle, and the guard from the Joe Musso Bowie’s “S” design.
Blade-Pattern-s.jpg

I have an old iron tired wagon wheel that’s most likely well over 100 yr old and etches and breaks to show good wrought iron pattern so I use it for the guard. First I etch, even with the grain showing up nicely I decide I’d rather have a polished ‘n heat blued finish to the guard, so that’s what I did. I forged, hammered, slotted ‘n shaped to get what I wanted. The bright spots on the guard are lighting issues. The blade is a billet of 416SS cladding over 1095 core.
Bowie-Guard-Etched-s.jpg

I started to use some Rosewood I brought back from Guatemala back in early ‘90s, but decided I liked the solid black Ebony I had on hand. The spacers are brass, then a 1/4” of 416SS/1095/416SS San Mai, then another brass spacer. I got it all clamped for gluing up with a good epoxy. (poor lighting)
Bowie-Glue-Up-s.jpg

After gluing up, sanding and putting final polish, I’m calling it finished. Still have to make a sheath.
Bowie-s.jpg

OK, let's see if this is enough for a WIP, it shows what I did in building this Bowie. The 2019 KITH’s idea of making a Bowie this year seemed very interesting to me so I have been following along with several of the builds. REALLY NICE builds to. Jason Volkert’s design really caught my attention. I took the liberty of using Jason’s blade profile, some of his handle, and the guard from the Joe Musso Bowie’s “S” design.
Blade-Pattern-s.jpg

I have an old iron tired wagon wheel that’s most likely well over 100 yr old and etches and breaks to show good wrought iron pattern so I use it for the guard. First I etch, even with the grain showing up nicely I decide I’d rather have a polished ‘n heat blued finish to the guard, so that’s what I did. I forged, hammered, slotted ‘n shaped to get what I wanted. The bright spots on the guard are lighting issues. The blade is a billet of 416SS cladding over 1095 core.
Bowie-Guard-Etched-s.jpg

I started to use some Rosewood I brought back from Guatemala back in early ‘90s, but decided I liked the solid black Ebony I had on hand. The spacers are brass, then a 1/4” of 416SS/1095/416SS San Mai, then another brass spacer. I got it all clamped for gluing up with a good epoxy. (poor lighting)
Bowie-Glue-Up-s.jpg

After gluing up, sanding and putting final polish, I’m calling it finished. Still have to make a sheath.
Bowie-s.jpg
that is just terrific , Ken. Nice touch with the black powder revolver , too.

Thanks for the nice words. Gene I've been following your 2019 KITH thread. Great work yourself, and Opaul always turns out some nice stuff.

Excellent work!! I really like Jason’s blade profile too. Both you guys are kicking out some beautiful knives.

Back