Brand new book on building slipjoints

Don,

I really enjoyed your DVD set. Lots of great information.

Do you cover hidden pins?

Some folders have no visible screws or pins, how are they assembled? I asked one guy and he said the screws were on the inside but I don't see how he assembled a knife with a mosaic damascus bolster and ebony scales and no pins showing.

A regular slipjoint has hidden pins in the bolsters. That's covered in the book. On a knife with damascus bolsters the bolsters may have a groove inside that slides over the screw heads.

If the bolster is thick enough, it can be tapped on the inside and a flat head screw is used from the inside of the liner into the tapped hole in the bolster.

Last edited:
I should have them in from the printer by the end of this week, JC.

Thanks for the order.

How did you place the order?

Last edited:
Congrats Don. I bet it's a great resource/reference.

Take care, Craig

Yeah, it's comb bound, so it lies open on your work bench.there are probably over 150 pictures; at least one, usually two pictures on each page.

Thanks, Craig.:biggrin:

I got the first batch from the printer today. If you ordered with Paypal you should get your book early next week. They'll be in the mail tomorrow. USPS Priority Mail flat rate.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I got mine today as well. Only about 20 pages in, but very nicely done so far. I especially appreciate the templates provided. Those will definitely be useful. Thanks Don.

JC

The book is full of great information that is laid out in a clear linear path. There are lots of different ways to make knives but it is fantastic to see how someone else does it.

Setting spring tension can be tricky. I look forward to trying your technique. Also, many thanks for your mill RPM formulas. Extremely helpful to have that information.

The book is well worth the money for anyone that is interested in making a quality slipjoint.

Johnny Roberts

I know Don makes amazing knives ( I own one of his linerlocks ) and I would like to buy the book , BUT does it show how to do it without a mill ? I dont have any of those "fancy" machines.

Dwane

I haven't finished reading the book yet, but I'm almost done. There might be mention of additional methods, so I'll only comment on the portion I've read, which is up to about page 89. Don does use a mill; however, I do not interpret his methods to absolutely require using a mill. For instance, he shows how he uses a mill to cut in the primary bevels. He notes that he prefers this over grinding in the primary bevels, but obviously either method will work. He also uses the mill to relieve the liners around the pivot hole. In some of the WIPs here on KD, I've seen people use their etcher to relieve this area. Suffice it to say that as a knife maker, I suspect that you can take Don's methods and make them work in your shop.

I know Don makes amazing knives ( I own one of his linerlocks ) and I would like to buy the book , BUT does it show how to do it without a mill ? I dont have any of those "fancy" machines.

Dwane

Hi, Dwayne.

With the knowledge you already have of making a blade, this has everything else you need to make a slipjoint.

The book illustrates all the steps in making the blade except rough grinding the flats prior to heat treat.
When I composed the book I assumed that anyone wanting to move up to slipjoints would already know how to rough grind a blade. The book isn't intended for a beginner. Anyone who wants to learn to make a slipjoint should already have knifemaking skills.

Many years ago I relieved the liners around the pivot using a Dremel tool with a sanding sleeve. Works fine.

Git the book, Dwayne. I think you'll like it! If not, keep the book and I'll refund your money. :biggrin::1::1:

Last edited:
Back