Brass handle / fabrication ideas

webicons

The knife shown below is typically called a Clicker knife in leatherworking. I would like to recreate this knife handle for some gifts and was hoping someone may have ideas on how to go about fabricating it.
My first thoughts was to:
Somehow machine a groove in a square stock of brass. Heat the handle and squeeze the bottom together closed. Sand down the bevels, drill and tap the screw holes.

I don’t have a mill so making the groove will be an issue but I could bring it down to a local shop for that. Thoughts about my process? Any other ways to approach this?

Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 0FBDD3AD-C317-4BB1-AFDE-236D8D97169C.jpeg
    0FBDD3AD-C317-4BB1-AFDE-236D8D97169C.jpeg
    566.1 KB · Views: 37
Hello All - I was able to make the general shape that I was looking for by rigging up my pneumatic cut off saw perpendicular to a cross slide vice and slowly mill it (sometimes my crazy ideas actually work!).

Now for the hard part. My plan now is to heat up the brass with a torch and then pinch the bottom closed. Perhaps use a vice to bend shut.

Question is can I “harden” brass? I found the brass at a junk yard and it’s fairly soft. I think it might be 360 Brass. Thoughts on a process?

Thanks!

Attachments

• BB380915-45FD-4A98-9848-87908C8ACABB.jpeg
    BB380915-45FD-4A98-9848-87908C8ACABB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
I made a bunch of spurs out of 360 brass....after bending and then silver soldering the rowel holder on they seemed stiffer and harder than before...I know this is more anecdotal than you're hoping for but I think you're on the right track...

.after bending and then silver soldering the rowel holder on they seemed stiffer and harder than before.

Thanks. As I understand, Brass gets harder as it is worked. Other than a simple knife bolster, this is the first time I’ve really worked with Brass and I am really enjoying it.

So this is the final tool. A simple brass handled HSS blade holder. I still have to tweak it a little but I'm satisfied.
What I've learned through making it:
1. Can't heat harden 360 Brass. It can only be work hardened. Apparently there are some special brass alloys that contain nickel that can be hardened through a special process but that's out of my realm.
2. Grinding/cutting brass makes nasty particles. Gets everywhere and doesn't come off easily. Best to wear a full face respirator.
3. I love working with Brass. It has a depth and luster unlike any other metal. A soft metal that's a pleasure to work with.
4. Clean up after yourself if your sanding in the house or the wife gets mad.

Thanks for everyone's guidance.

Attachments

• IMG_9843.JPG
    IMG_9843.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 11
Back