Brown sugar quench

CTaylorJr

"Yeah, I said brown sugar quench!"

That's what I was told by our machinist here at work. He said that he has quenched in BS, I mean brown sugar, in the past for certain metals. When I asked which ones he told me he would have to look it up later this evening... I can't wait!

For the record, he's around 70 and is generally known for a no nonsense attitude... Just for giggles I may have to try it sometime! Worst that could happen is a I get a piece of metal for the handle on my lollipop! :what!::biggrin::what!:

Anyone ever heard of this one?

Charlie

Robert Mayo

Well you know i would say it's probably true they had some wierd ways in the old days.
Like put grease or butter on a burn. I think i will stick to grizzly bear urine for quenching!

Bob

S

shakie

I hate the way oil cruds up a blade, I can't imagine brown sugar crystalized all over it. Ever heard the expression "so poor they did'nt have a pot to pee in" The poor people sold their pee to tanning houses. and add on "or a window to throw it out of" homeless people. And Bob "in the old days" I can remember my mom putting butter on burns. At least it was'nt margarine.

NJStricker

Sugar can be burned. It is a simple 6-carbon chain (well, glucose is, anyway). My point is that sugar chemically breaks down into water and carbon dioxide when heat is applied.

So, I wonder if this is nothing more than a water quench. . .

clancy

I have heard of sugar being used for case hardening. As I understand it carbon monoxide migrates into the metal given a enough time at a high temperature and concentration.

Ernie

sfbreed

Blade Field Editor
Stick with olive oil for clean blades after quench. I prefer using the body quench but they say its against the law now.

Ironwolf

The Knife Poet
When it comes time for me to quench,
I'll use wolf urine...

2.gif

iran-eng_17b75dcd35733148d682e2850a.gif

Ironwolf

The Knife Poet
Hm...
I wonder if a rum-based IronWolf urine quench would impart any special properties to steel...:les:
must experiment!:biggrin:
(but who am I gonna find to hold the blade while I, uh, "quench" it ?)