brut-de-forge-Challenge KITH

GHEzell

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?35310-Brut-de-Forge-Challenge

I Challenge all Knifemakers to a Forging Competition with some basic rules. Any takers?

A one piece knife under 9 inches in overall length with a hammered finish.

A while back Tim Lively started the above thread, challenging us to make a brut-de-forge knife and post it. It sounded like a great idea, but after 6 months we have had a total of one finished knife... for myself, commissions and other stuff have come up, and the challenge has taken a back seat. With no time limit, I fear it could be years before some of us (myself included) get around to it.

So, I propose a neo-tribal, informal KITH (knife in the hat) along the above guidelines laid down by Tim, but with slightly refined definitions.

The knife must be 9" long overall or less.

By one piece, this means no handle scales, just a single piece of steel serving as both handle and blade. I suppose, for the sake of comfort, we will allow a wrapped handle.

By hammered finish this means the knife is to be forged to shape as closely as possible. Some stock removal is allowed, but please keep it to an absolute minimum! I encourage everyone to go 'wireless' with this, if possible use stones, sen, paper, and files as opposed to your 2hp 2x72" grinder....

The knife should be functional, heat-treated, sharp, and be supplied by the maker with, at minimum, a rudimentary sheath (it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional). Use any steel you are comfortable with that will make a good knife.

I encourage everyone to 'think outside the box' when it comes to design for this, try to come up with something unique as opposed to a 1 of 20 railroad spike knife. Remember you are making a knife for one of your peers, try to impress them with your creativity...:)

I suppose we need a time limit that gives us enough time to make the knife amid orders and commissions, but not so much time as to forget we ever signed up in the first place! I propose in the true neo-tribal spirit the fall equinox, September 22, as the finish date... if necessary this date can be tweaked a bit, but let's try to avoid that if possible.

This KITH is open to all members of knifedogs forums. Just cut and paste the list of participants, sign (well, type) your name, and start thinking about what you want to make. Have the knife finished by September 22, 2014. Note: we have decided to extend the due date until December 1st.

List of participants:
1. George Ezell

Last edited:
Like I said George, I'm game, so sign me up. Sept. 22 may be a little tight for me as my work is real busy till fall is done, but a little deadline pressure may help me to geterdone.

This sounds fun to me , I spent some time with Tai Goo a few years back , I'm going to draw some inspiration from that experience and go with it here.

I'm in until further notice.

1: George Ezell
2: Martin Brandt
3: Dwane Oliver

Well, it looks like this may be the world's smallest KITH. Do you think changing the due date to give us more time might help?

I've forged out 3 one-piece knives the other day, trying to decide which I like best....

I think the one piece rule is maybe throwing people off of it.

Hell IDK now that I reread it , you can wrap it if you want.

IDK George , but I'm still in.

Dwane

I would be in but, I'm in and the out of town for the next 6 to 7 weeks. Making a 5 week turn a round impossible for me. Maybe the next time around.

Just saw this for the first time today.

How does the first of December sound for a new due date? That would give us an extra 2 months....

I'm still in but the dec. date works better for me as my work keeps me pretty busy til the end of Nov. then I get to work more on knives during the winter. The later date might help get others in though. Either way I'll geterdone, just might have to suspend other projects a bit.

Finally getting started on my contribution to this KITH. Had to finish building a new post vise work station, as I had sold my old one to make way for a better one with a 5 1/4" vise a heavy steel plate top that can take some pounding, a hardy hole, and a tong rack. The top is 1 1/8"x 17"x 22" plate heavily braced and rimmed on the bottom edge with 1"x3/8". The whole thing weighs about 250-300 lbs. It gives me a place to do some chisel work, or other stuff at a higher level than my anvil. Easier on the back. Now I have a hot work vise again and I'm working out how I'm going to forge this one piece knife. I've done these before, but this one I want to up the ante a little on the handle to give a more substantial grip surface without making it handle heavy. Thinking I'll make a mini swage block to help with a better tang shape for a wider tang. Gonna be some upsetting going on here. And I hope it isn't me. New ideas can sometimes be troublesome at first.

It is interesting, today I got a call from a good customer about making prizes for a story-telling competition they have every year. The rules are, they need 6 knives, can only pay $50 apiece for them, and I've got one week to get it done... this, my friends, is where one-piece knives shine. I'm pretty sure I can pull this off and actually get decent per-hour pay, and still give them some really neat knives to boot.

I gotta get busy though....:)

Well, the time is fast approaching, we have 1 month, I think, to finish. I'll be posting a photo of mine tomorrow, the knife is finished and just needs a sheath. I went to a hammer-in last month, and a fellow forged a Japanese style chef's knife. I've never seen someone forge a blade so close before, it was impressive, and inspirational. I tried to emulate his methods with my KITH knife, and I was surprised at how quickly I was able to finish it after the forging was done. 20 minutes with a file, followed by 20 minutes sanding, and she was ready to heat-treat. After heat-treating, 1 hour of stonework and sanding, and it was finished. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Last edited:
I was hoping more people would jump on board, and being an unrepentant optimist I still hope they will. Honestly, is there a simpler type of knife to make? Is there a quicker type? Perhaps we need to go back to that thread and remind/pester/guilt-trip them....:)

4. Bobby keller

Ill play, heck i was just thinking about how much i loved the KITHs we use to have with Tai, and Tim, Dana, Max. I have a nice collection of knifes from those awesome makers. I havnt worked sense last Dec due to cancer , still not able to go back to work and probably wont for awhile. But im able to get to the forge and work on this easy project. Looking forward to seeing everyones work and adding to my collection. Glad i stopped in today.

4. Bobby keller

Ill play, heck i was just thinking about how much i loved the KITHs we use to have with Tai, and Tim, Dana, Max. I have a nice collection of knifes from those awesome makers. I havnt worked sense last Dec due to cancer , still not able to go back to work and probably wont for awhile. But im able to get to the forge and work on this easy project. Looking forward to seeing everyones work and adding to my collection. Glad i stopped in today.
Glad to have you aboard....:)

Here's mine...
bruteforge_zpsda5d0e3e.jpg

Finally have gotten a little free time and mine is getting forged this week, hopefully done shortly. Sorry to hold things up. Martin

Back