Brut De Forge - 2nd Forged Knife

Casey Brown

Trying a brut de forge as my second forged knife. Definitely a lot of work making that integral finger guard. Liking the handle profile so far, though.

0310181933a.jpg0310181933.jpg

OK. Need some input. This is just my second forged knife, and also the second that I have done my own heat treat. How does it look? Do I need to etch a little darker? I did a light etch, then buffed.

0321181909.jpg

Looking good. As far as the etch goes looks like you may have buffed out part of the hamon or it is just the photo. I do several etches and use make up pads and by hand rub Flitz over it to get the look I want. But I like the dark etches, just my preference.

Yeah, I did a second etch to darken up the line. I may have to try Flitz. I've seen where others like it.

If you are trying for a hamon, you should not buff. The detail will vanish on you. Etch, hand rub, etch, hand rub repeat as much as necessary. I use either flitz or simichrome polish for the hand rubbing.

Well, actually I kind of like the look better after buffing on this particular one. It still has very much a bright shiny appearance, but with the hamon line still visible. I've etched it a few times, and the area under the hamon line is etching very dark, and above the line is much lighter. I have ordered some Flitz, and will try etching and polishing with that to see how that looks also. This is definitely fun, though.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that this is 1084, so probably not going to get as good of a hamon some other steels. I'm just happy I have something that looks interesting.

Last edited:
Back