Bushcraft finished.

Mark Barone

This is the knife I wanted to do and leave the scale finish on. OAL is 8.25”. 1095 steel, Tamarind handle. I need to keep the pin cool next time so I don’t burn the wood around it. I do use my belt sander on the sides when the scales are too wide. I really think I need a do not make a stupid mistake list. I don’t mind when I mess something new up or just not at the level others are. But I knew about burning a ring around the pin and I forgot.

FACBB339-3205-4D22-A81E-B1E0CC8BD695.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good Mark! That grind came out really nice. I wouldn't sweat the pin too much. Can you sand the handle down a little to get rid of the burn or is it too deep?

Yes. I actually had a question about that. Does stabilized wood soak up tung pil. Or should it be polished a different method.
It must not be stabilized if it’s soaking up oil. I used it once and used super glue as the finish.
It really makes a nice looking handle.

It must not be stabilized if it’s soaking up oil. I used it once and used super glue as the finish.
Oh ok that makes sense. I changed photo above. I wanted to take a better one so I took a walk in the woods. The sunlight gets filtered through the trees.

Another reason to grind gentle on the mosaic pins is the epoxy holding all the little pattern pieces in the tube can lose its grip...I typically use solid pins but you know how customers are...if they've seen 'em they usually want them...lol
Some makers won't use them at all.

Nice knife...love the wood. And your scaly look worked out real nice!

Nice work Mark. The handle shape looks very comfortable. I wouldn't have even noticed the ring around the mosaic pin if you hadn't mentioned it.

Any suggestions o. How to etch a logo on scale finish, other than stamping. I have seen it etched on a bevel but this bevel is too small.

I was hoping something cheaper... like a crayon. I think there probably aren’t any cheap options. Someone once said to sand a little scale off where the mark goes. I’m not sure how that would look.
yeah...agreed...I don't think sanding is the answer...Maybe a hand graver and a chasers hammer and a simplified makers mark?

Back