Bushcraft thickness 3/16 ok?

IMO, 3/16" is pretty thick. Your bevel would be whatever you set it at, so the thicker material would show more bevel at the same angle than thinner stock, if that makes sense. Google up "bevel angle calculator" to see how tall your grind line needs to be for a given degree for your stock thickness.

I've seen a few guys going all the way to 10deg per side. That's pretty low. A proper scandi should, however, be at 17deg or less, IMO.

From what I’ve seen in the Bushcraft community, guys prefer a blade of that style more in the 1/8” area. If you wanted it beefier, I wouldn’t make that blade any thicker than 5/32”.
I was thinking 5/32" might work. If it helps for reference, the Bowie I sent you is 5/32"

Can this design be built with a3/16 inch stock? Would the bevel be too steep? Can a bevel be too steep? View attachment 73478
I am not being funny or disrespectful but that design can be made however you wish to make it. If you have some 3/16 around make it and see what you think. Get some others to use it and see what they think. If you have to order some 3/16 to make it I would go with 1/8 personally for a BC knife but who knows, you may start something new. I always do 20 degrees (10 per side) for my Scandi grinds. I base that angle off of nothing more than that is how I did my first one and I liked it so I kept doing it. I have had no complaints thus-far. In fact, I just completed a Kephart style with a Scandi grind in 1/8 with a 10 degree per side bevel. It goes from 20 degrees to zero, no secondary angle.

I am not being funny or disrespectful but that design can be made however you wish to make it. If you have some 3/16 around make it and see what you think. Get some others to use it and see what they think. If you have to order some 3/16 to make it I would go with 1/8 personally for a BC knife but who knows, you may start something new. I always do 20 degrees (10 per side) for my Scandi grinds. I base that angle off of nothing more than that is how I did my first one and I liked it so I kept doing it. I have had no complaints thus-far. In fact, I just completed a Kephart style with a Scandi grind in 1/8 with a 10 degree per side bevel. It goes from 20 degrees to zero, no secondary angle.
Do you use a jig or a fixed 20 degree block when you do the grinding?

You could probably get away with 3/16 if you do a full flat ground. My last batch of Kepharts were done with .110 1.2442 and AEB-L. I do a FFG.

I don’t do bubble jigs - never felt comfortable.
However you hold a consistent angle while grinding will work. Just take it to zero with no secondary bevel. For me its an easy grind to accomplish just watch burning the steel as you approach zero. I go sloooow and use a fresh belt at that point. In honesty I think a Scandi grind would look awesome on one of your pukkos.

Last edited:

I'd like to see that knife. I bet that's a wood shavin' beast.

Back