CAD/Drawing software?

Lyon

I am trying to design a folder and the graphing paper that I use for fixed knives is not cutting it anymore. I won't be having any CNC done but I do have a digital read out on my mill so the accuracy of measurement would be nice.

Does anybody have any experience with any open-source/free software?

Thanks.

I've been using DraftSight. It's free, but it's pretty good, I think it's made by same folks who have SolidWorks. Only thing I've noticed about it that I don't like, I guess you have to be connected to the internet or it won't open. If I open the program at the house, where I have internet, and then carry my laptop to the shop, the program still works as normal. It just doesn't open without the connection. May be some setting I have wrong don't know. It will do anything a regular knife maker wants.

Another vote for DraftSight - I've got it on the house and shop computer. For some reason the shop computer won't register, but the one at the house registered nicely. It's VERY close to AutoCAD for commands and the way it works. You can draw the blade, backspring, and liner up, then rotate the blade to check and make sure everything works nicely.

I didn't realize it had to be connected to internet - I'll bet that's to allow checking for registration.

Back