Camp chopper and older-style mid-tech Benghazi Warfighters

Stormcrow

Some more recently completed work.

A forged camp chopper, 80CrV2 steel and TeroTuf handle slabs. The blade is about 10 5/8" long. The customer wanted a large finger choil for choked-up work. It's not the biggest blade I've made by any stretch, but everyone who handled it agreed it was a beast. :)

tw04 by James Helm, on Flickr

Kydex sheath.

tw05 by James Helm, on Flickr

The customer requested an exposed skullcrusher tang and a dedicated lanyard hole. This was a first for me, to build a slab handle with a notch to accommodate a lanyard hole. I say "dedicated" because the flared tube rivets also afford lanyard attachment points.

tw06 by James Helm, on Flickr

I've been in the very long, slow process of trying to launch a mid-tech stock removal line based on my more popular forged designs. I haven't posted too much about it because I wanted to have everything ready to roll first. I'm finally approaching that point. Along the way I have had small batches of blades waterjet cut and have tweaked my design a bit as I go, getting everything zeroed in to the final product. I have a very small handful of the older style blade designs in various states of completion, most of which are already claimed, before doing a full launch of the line.

This set of three Benghazi Warfighters was bought by fellow for himself and some family members. The blanks are waterjet cut from 3/16" 80CrV2 steel, ground and heat treated by me, and handle slabs shaped from TeroTuf using jigs and a series of router bits.

bw04 by James Helm, on Flickr

The blades have a Caswell black oxide finish (the final version will have a coating) with the touchmark laser engraved. The sheaths are standardized, one will fit any of the blades.

bw05 by James Helm, on Flickr

A couple of hours after picking these up, the customer called up and laid claim to one of the older-style Little Rok mid-techs in progress. :)

Back