Can i use 80crv2 for a hunting knife

Justin W.

Hey guys I'm wanting to make a couple 80crv2 hunting knives that will be tough as nails. I won't be putting a handle on these knives instead I will be drilling a few holes in the tang for decoration then I will have them powder coated. Am I on the right track for a decent hunting knife or am I way off on my choice for steel selection

I will definitely reconsider putting a handle on it. I really want to make a bomb proof hunting knife for myself and to put a couple on my etsy shop. Your not gonna find many people other than chefs who appreciate a quality knife like a hunter does

In that case what handle material do you guys suggest this is the design of the knife I'd like to makeAttach7101_20181115_123250.jpg

A little curve to the top side of the handle area might be nice...and maybe just a bit wider on the handle profile. love that blade shape! as suggested before handles will be great on that especially if using for skinning...which that blade shape should be well suited for.

Nice design.

I forgot about the curve in the handle that will be added. If I'm correct in my thinking for a hunting knife you want the curve of the blade to line up with your knuckles when you are holding it

n that case what handle material do you guys suggest
For working hunting knives I like canvass micarta or rubber (Horse stall mats). Unless you have small hand I would plus one the previous comment on a little wider handle profile.

Last edited:
Alright Im going to tweet my design a little bit and I will post a picture once Im done. I really appreciate the honest feedback it's the only way I can learn some of this this stuff

Wood handles on knives go all the way back into the stone age. There are several good hardwoods out there to choose from. Two that I like are African Blackwood and Osage Orange.

Doug

80CrV2 would make a great hunter, but you aren't going to get the most performance out of it if you aren't able to soak at temp for 10+ minutes at a time. I just had a customer use his 80CrV2 blade from me to process a deer, including chopping through the neck bone, leg bones, and pelvis, and he reported as being razor sharp afterwards.

I'm fond of TeroTuf for slab handles. Lightweight and grippy.

80CrV2 would make a great hunter, but you aren't going to get the most performance out of it if you aren't able to soak at temp for 10+ minutes at a time. I just had a customer use his 80CrV2 blade from me to process a deer, including chopping through the neck bone, leg bones, and pelvis, and he reported as being razor sharp afterwards.

I'm fond of TeroTuf for slab handles. Lightweight and grippy.

OK I will have to do that. After it soaks for that time do I quench it or let it cool

I am also making one of these. I thought I had all the numbers in my head already for HT. I hadn't come across a 10 min soak, though. Thanks for the open invite for your HT.

I made my son one out of that steel and it performs quite well in the field. I used some stabilized buckeye burl for the handle that he picked out from the woods available. It has also done quite well. A quality wood can do just fine for you if done well and finished appropriately.

Jeremy

Back