Can it be glued

JAWilliams

KNIFEMAKER
OK now for the next laughable question, can two pieces of G10 be glued togather? Like stacking one color on top of another. for a handle. I have two different colors of G10 that are 1/8" thick and was wanting a handle with two colors. Can it be done and what do I use? Thanks and now quit laughing and type.2thumbs

yes, it's commonly done. make sure you really rough up both sides and use a high quality adhesive.

If you think about it, it's not that different from gluing a piece of vulcanized fiber liner to handle scales.

It is not much of a problem. One hint for you though, color the epoxy to match one of the scales. The seam will blend in better.

I just use super glue for this, the seam will sand/polish away. Since you're going to pin or screw the handles on (right? :D) bond strength is not terribly important.

I use Superglue, too.

I've heard it will not hold up to hard abuse, but it's not like you're going to be hitting the handle with a hammer.

May not hold up to a considerable amount of Batoning, though.

Loctite 480 is a 'toughened' superglue that is shock resistant.

I've done a bit of composite molding, and as far as I know it is just glass. Rough it up a bit (100-200) and use some slow epoxy. Test a couple of small bits and see how it works (a.k.a. - beat the living crap out of it with a hammer) before using it on your intended "finish" material.

Keep in mind that a lot of higher end "G" (fiberglass) products, as well as carbon/kevlar products are produced in a vacuum (atmospheric clamping) for maximum adhesion. If you can rough up, epoxy, and place in a vacuum for curing you will get closest to the original specs.

That can be accomplished a variety of ways but the simplest method is to rough it, epoxy it, wrap it in a bit of high-mil plastic, and pull a bit of vacuum (a brake bleeder will work nicely - or even a vacuum cleaner).

After that just use it as you always would.

Back