Can you 'fix' dented leather?

KentuckyFisherman

I'm just beginning with sheath work and have a million questions. I have a million questions, but I'll just ask a couple here. When doing a basketweave stamp, I let one leg of the stamp slip outside my border groove. Here's how it looks.
1614733640442.png
The real thing doesn't look as bad as this enlargement, of course, but it still bugs me. Is there any way to recover from a slip like this? Like maybe just one drop of water in the dimple to swell the leather. Or maybe even something like a tiny drop of thick CA, topped with a little Resolene on a Q-tip after the CA dries.

My other question involves the welt. I've been gluing up the welt, stitching, sanding the edges even, dying the raw edge and then slicking it down. Sometimes I'll get spots along that welt that don't accept the dye. I assume it's a little spot or two of rubber cement that stays on the outside and won't take the dye. I tried Edgecoat on one sheath and while it hardens and takes a nice shine, the brown Edgecoat didn't really match the sheath. So, should I dye the welt and edges of the sheath before doing the glue up?

You can attempt to fix those little dimples by wetting the leather and smoothing it with a modeling spoon. The deeper and larger the dimple the more difficult it is to smooth it out and make it unnoticeable.

I grind and shape my edges after glue up. The glue shouldn’t be that noticeable after grinding. A bit of hand sanding should eliminate any spotting from the dye. What are you using for glue. I like Barge’s. I cannot comment on edge-coat. Never used it.

I try to remember, when I am getting close to my borderlines with a basket weave stamp, that is what the camouflage stamp is for so I do not have to bump up against my borderlines. I have done that more than once.

I'm just beginning with sheath work and have a million questions. I have a million questions, but I'll just ask a couple here. When doing a basketweave stamp, I let one leg of the stamp slip outside my border groove. Here's how it looks.
View attachment 77367
The real thing doesn't look as bad as this enlargement, of course, but it still bugs me. Is there any way to recover from a slip like this? Like maybe just one drop of water in the dimple to swell the leather. Or maybe even something like a tiny drop of thick CA, topped with a little Resolene on a Q-tip after the CA dries.

My other question involves the welt. I've been gluing up the welt, stitching, sanding the edges even, dying the raw edge and then slicking it down. Sometimes I'll get spots along that welt that don't accept the dye. I assume it's a little spot or two of rubber cement that stays on the outside and won't take the dye. I tried Edgecoat on one sheath and while it hardens and takes a nice shine, the brown Edgecoat didn't really match the sheath. So, should I dye the welt and edges of the sheath before doing the glue up?

I use Edge Coat on some of my Sheaths. I don't try to match the Dye I just use Black.

Back