Caribou and Demascus

Gliden07

20200626_160926.jpg
So here's the next one I'm working on. Dion Damascus and Caribou Antler handle that was graciously supplied by Soundmind! Ive been cleaning out some stagnant projects. This was a Dion Damascus piece I had done sometime ago. Blade had some issues so I stashed it in the drawer "we don't talk about!". In the mean time I recieved Soundminds Caribou Antler, this blade just screamed "PICK ME!!" I fixed most of the blade issues and will address the others but wanted to do a rough fitting. Im thinking its looking pretty good for a first try with antler? Plan on doing a Nickel Silver pommel to match guard.How do you actually finish off Antlers anyway??

The antler I have done in the past I sanded to a very high grit and buffed it out. It looked fantastic. BTW it was moose antler.

I looked hard for the issues in the blade but I can't say that I see any. The handle looks great just the way it is. I'd go with Opaul and just wax it.

Doug

Are you going to add any spacers to the guard area? That knife is going to rock BTW.

I was thinking of it but I really like the clean look of the Nickel Silver and the off White, but I may? I have White, Red, Black and Toxic Green for spacer material? Maybe the Green and Black? Be a little differant!

I looked hard for the issues in the blade but I can't say that I see any. The handle looks great just the way it is. I'd go with Opaul and just wax it.

Doug
Most of the issues are gone. Just need to finish hand sanding. This is only at 220G, I'll go up to 800 and do the ole Dunkeroo in Ferric. may try a coffee etch (again something I've never done)? Any suggestions for that would be GREAT! I love the super contrast with coffee etch. Trying to really concentrate on my fit and finish!

I really like the clean look of the Nickel Silver and the off White
That is why I was asking, I would be torn there too. Just my humble opinion though, if you decide to do spacers (either would look good) I would not use the toxic green. To me it would clash with antler. I would want that awesome piece of antler to take center stage. Most guys who like antler handles may shy away from zombie green colors. But then again maybe you would start something new...

My experience with Dion Damascus is that a ferric acid etch will be dramatic.
As far as the spacer goes, i’m with Chris on this. To keep it simple I would go - guard, thin black G10, thin nickel silver, and black G10, antler.

My experience with Dion Damascus is that a ferric acid etch will be dramatic.
As far as the spacer goes, i’m with Chris on this. To keep it simple I would go - guard, thin black G10, thin nickel silver, and black G10, antler.
+1

Looks good! I have some white liners I'm using with a pair of scales of the same color and lot. But OP's idea is good too. (I'm using brass pins.)

These ones were outside about ten years when I cut them, filled a box, and brought them in the house. Even though they were untouched for about another 4-5 years the scales still moved a little over a few days. I had to re-flatten them before I drilled holes and haven't seen them move again yet. I will double check one more time before I assemble.

Good looking - can't wait to see the blade etched and the finished knife.

BTW another maker also told me I could finish with these Thompson's water seal but haven't tried it yet. Was going to experiment with another piece.

View attachment 73847
Pommel and adapter I made to attach Pommel and handle! Comeing slowly, still on the fence with spacers!!

Attachments

• USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1593479569782_6683537733456798685.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1593479569782_6683537733456798685.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200628_142025.jpg
    20200628_142025.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Looks really good! Did you grind off all of the bark? I'm asking because I am working with some caribou right now and am wondering whether it would still look good with the thin bark gone.

Back