Cheap Damascus

OK, I may be crawling out on a limb asking this, but I've been out there before. I'm a newbie who isn't working steel at all. At this stage, I'm just learning to attach, shape and finish scales on pre-built blanks. So, if I buy finished blanks from online sellers like Jantz, USA Knifemaker, Texas Knifemakers Supply, knivesandknifemaking.com, Smokey Mountain Knife Works, BladeHQ, or Premium Knife Supply, how do I know what I'm getting? Does it boil down to price? Do you order from various suppliers until you find one where the quality and price area a good balance? If some of you have gone through this as beginners are you willing to recommend companies you've had good luck with in the past?

Last edited:
You basically have to take their word for the product so you should deal with established suppliers who have good reputations.
I'd be careful about buying a blade off of ebay, especially if it comes from Pakistan or is super cheap.
Watch out for anything that seems too cheap. Good damascus is expensive to produce and will be priced accordingly.
I have dealt with the first three suppliers that you mention and I know they sell quality stuff.
I don't have any experience with the others.

I bought a cheap piece of Damascus on Etsy they tell me its 1080 and 15n20 but I'm not gonna take the chance. Its gonna end up guards and jewelry.

Back