Chef knives project.

how can get the right angles?
score the edges, grind to the lines, then grind it flat. Or do you mean how much to grind off each edge to get a bevel angle of 6 degrees? In that case, just use the inverse tangent. If I need to explain this, let me know.

will have to bring camera to shop and record i guess. my ideas are to do the most work(removing and shaping the steel) with the minimum effort. HT is the same idea. got in big argument on another forum, when other members were embracing a very long drawn out HT of a steel which ended up having very slight improvement of my treatment of O1 or 1.2519. once furnace is hot, O1 or other "Basic" high carbon steels and basic stainless like AEB-L take just over two hours to heat treat unless using thick, >5/32", stock. why spend the time, effort, and cost for something like 3V when end result is probably going to be the same.(haven't seen many posts about 3V or A2 at Rc64 or greater) dont know why, but AEB-L and 440c all cost less than 3V or A2.

how can get the right angles?
i have a 2" angle iron blade holder with holes. holes in tang are same size as holes in holder. make sure blade is secured with 2 or more bolts and parallel with top of angle iron. using an angle finder($10 at lowes) set for 3 degree grind. depending on grinder, either adjust work surface or platen holder. i adjust platen to be 3 degrees to the blade. grind on. for a thin blade, 3/32" or less, coarsest grind for me is 60 or 80, because you are not removing that much material. pre-heat treat, bevel should be 2 or 3 degrees, almost FFG for 1 1/2" stock.

Back