Clean shop for New Years

Nice space! I need a shop like yours. I have roll everything around my garage so my wife can keep the car in it...

Nice space! I need a shop like yours. I have roll everything around my garage so my wife can keep the car in it...
My previous shop was about a quarter of my new shop. So it’s really nice to have this space. I have most frequently used equipment on casters so I can move stuff around. I try to do all my knife grinding outside.

All that space sure does look good. I see the forge and anvil - do you forge inside the shop?

Good job cleaning it all - I do like an organized work space..... (grinning)

All that space sure does look good. I see the forge and anvil - do you forge inside the shop?

Good job cleaning it all - I do like an organized work space..... (grinning)
I try to keep forging and grinding on the concrete apron just outside the door.
Thank!

I didn’t think you had worked there enough to get it dirty. Now if you’re offering your services please contact me. My shop has a fine film of everything from the last 10’years plus!!!

I got started on my shop cleaning yesterday. Got the foam insulation board hung on the ceiling and the furring strips and 3 of the 4 vertical foam boards hung along the side yesterday and removed the plastic that used to be hanging and removed the fluorescent lights. Next step is to hang the 4 new LED lights and start the major cleaning process. Once I get the cleaning done, I will hang the 4th board and tape off the walls to better seal it. I have a large wood table I need to relocate where the 4th wall is going, so I gotta clean a space for it and do some general re organizing.

I will eventually hang some plywood to act as the front of the shop where I can hang belt hangers from both sides of the plywood, so I have a space for the belts I am using inside the shop versus the extra ones on the outside of the shop wall.

Told ya mine was bad! This is all of the stuff I basically have to pull out, vacuum, organize and then put back in the correct place. The plastic curtain on the left is where the foam wall is going. I want to reinforce the foam wallwith plywood soon, too. I put furring strips under the rafters so I have a place to screw the plywood and foam into.

Took the pic after I ripped down the top plastic, which caused the dust to settle on everything below it. This is when I was in the process of moving stuff and tubs out to get the ladder in. I gotta get a new shop vac; the fine dust killed mine before I went to a dust deputy system, so it has very little suction. I got my dads big Craftsman older one I want to hook up.shop.jpg

When I ripped down the plastic, tons of dust came down on everything and I had to move stuff around to get the ladder up there too. I want to spend a day just pulling everything out, doing some cleaning and sorting. I have nice cabinets to use, but they are empty because there is too much stuff in front of them to open the doors!
I added in a forge, anvil, welder cart, welding table, kiln, quench tanks, FeCl tube this past year, so I need to reconfigure the shop space to make better use of the area I have. I also have a generator and snow blower (both covered to protect from the dust) in the garage, too as well as using it for storage.

Told ya mine was bad! This is all of the stuff I basically have to pull out, vacuum, organize and then put back in the correct place. The plastic curtain on the left is where the foam wall is going. I want to reinforce the foam wallwith plywood soon, too. I put furring strips under the rafters so I have a place to screw the plywood and foam into.

Took the pic after I ripped down the top plastic, which caused the dust to settle on everything below it. This is when I was in the process of moving stuff and tubs out to get the ladder in. I gotta get a new shop vac; the fine dust killed mine before I went to a dust deputy system, so it has very little suction. I got my dads big Craftsman older one I want to hook up.View attachment 82083
OMG!!

I warned you! I had a mad rush before the Holidays getting everything finished up, so it was worse than usual. I had to move stuff back and forth to get the ladder there to remove the upper plastic, so that made it worse, too.

Once I get lights hung, everything except the larger equipment is getting pulled out, cleaned and then completely re organized. One drawer for blanks/hardened blades ( I sent out batches of blades to heat treat, so I have lots of blades waiting for orders/to be ground), another drawer for tools like drill bits, files, sanding blocks, measuring/layout tools, etc. 3rd drawer for kydex and sheath supplies and 1 drawer for high end handle material. One cabinet will be dedicated to other handle materials, other cabinets will have some of the smaller tools/equipment, like drill press vises, cross slide vise, clamps, my Dremel Mill thingy, etc. Belts will all be hung on hangers on the plywood walls that aren't installed yet. I want to set up some of the tubes in the back to hold the barstock of various steels as well so I can see what I have and where it is.

I hate the stupid peg board, so I may take down all of the jars and stuff so I can put some shelves on the back wall and use that space better, too. I want to make a sanding peg board to hold the rolls of sandpaper alone the right hand wall and get a divider for the sheets of sandpaper.

Back