Clear Epoxy for Embedding that can be polished

LobosStyle Blades

Hello, I'm looking to try something new with a new piece I'm working on. I need a clear epoxy that will cure hard enough to be able to polish. I've tried a number of poly epoxies when making micarta but they tend to have an amber tint to them when cured. I've tried a couple types of bar top finishes but they have been inconsistent with the hardness and extremely difficult to sand down and polish to a glass clear finish. Most of them haven't hardened well enough to polish without softening and then gumming up.

My most recent test was Alumilite and am testing it over a piece of oak wood but am getting a ton of bubbles during the curing process over a span of hours. It's clear and hard enough to polish I believe (will work on that today) but the bubbles are the complication right now. I've seen this material used for pen casting so I'm pretty sure I can polish it easily.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Tips or tricks? I've looked and looked in the forums but haven't seen anything like this. Inlaced Acrylester is about the only material I can think of and have used that I'd can equate to working properties.

What I'll be doing is recessing a couple of gold Spanish cuff links into a wood handle and putting the epoxy over the top to protect it and be visible threw the "glass". I need to protect them as the gold is soft and scratches easily. I only have 1 shot at this and can't afford to have it messed up.

I truly appreciate any suggestions and will post the images when it's complete.

Check out smoth on adhesives I use their EA 40 a lot they make a product called encapsulating K or something like that that is water clear when its done.

Back