Cold Steel Mini Lawman

STR

I received a new folder in the mail the other day from New Graham Pharmacy. I had the choice of ordering one from yourcornerstore.com for less but the one from them is apparently the new updated version with the pocket clip moved to a new location to sit the knife deeper in the pocket. From the pictures on their web site over at yourcornerstore for this folder vs the picture of the one on New Graham Pharmacy's web site you can see the differences if you care to look.

I'm sure there are reviews elsewhere on this folder that probably show the same clip as mine compared to the newer models. I bought the one from NGK taking the chance I'd get one of the older models with the first clip orientation, which is what I wanted. Sure enough that is just what I received. Now you might ask why I wanted the original clip mount folder when it advertises the folder more once clipped to the pocket when I could have had the new better updated model but if you know me you know why from looking at the pictures. It did not appear to be so easy to make a low rider clip fit on the folder if I received the newer model because apparently they did not use the same clip when they redesigned it.

Okay with that said, lets talk about this little gem of a folder for a bit; as this one is another of the models that would fit in the category of potentially a best bang for your buck model. The blade was described as being a 2.5" blade but my model is more accurately 2 and 9/16". I've read on other web sites that its 2 and 5/8" so apparently it depends on who you ask. This is roughly the same size blade as that on my Doug Ritter MK3 survial/gentleman's folder. I am showing it side by side this Lone Wolf made Paul folder to let you get an idea of just how the knife stands up against another knife of the same blade length or there abouts. Overall the Cold Steel folder feels pretty good in the hand. The handle is 3 and 7/8" closed but due to the choil feature you can cheat more out of it so that measurement is somewhat deceiving. I like the choil even if it is a bit smallish for my index finger to fit on as well as I'd like. The choil does work though and once you wrap your fingers around this folder it does feel very secure. My Mini Lawman weighs in at 2.6 ounces.

The textured G10 scales are very grippy when new in the box. If that bugs some a bit of light sanding of the outer surface with some fine 600 grit emory cloth will knock off some of that super aggressive feel right quick FYI. I did this lightly to my model on the clip side to prevent the folder tearing up my already beat up pants pocket. (note: I did this after the pictures were taken) I also promptly started looking through my clips to see if I had one that happened to fit this one. Sure enough I found one that would mount on it and work for this review and it doesn't quite bury the knife as deep as it could but it does allow the lanyard hole to work should I decide to tie one later.

My model came sharp enough to knock some hairs off of my arm okay. It was not a very good slicer at all though and I felt that the edge profile was a bit obtuse for my tastes so I prompty fixed that best I could and managed to put a fair edge on it. Its apparent to me that Cold Steel does not place as much attention to the edge as they used to. I don't feel they are as sharp as they used to be because I must say the last four knives I've bought to look over from them have all failed to impress me that much for cutting or slicing performance compared to other folders of the past from them. I have several of the older Ultra Lock folders from before the advent of the one that comes up when you type that in today using Google. The ones I have are from the 90s equipped with that Peerless liner lock and have been discontinued for sometime. These little blast from the past knives from Cold Steel will work circles around this mini Lawman and came much much sharper out of the box. I find that ironic that improvements can be made in lock performance while other areas lag. Most of my old Vaquero, and Voyagers from those days were much sharper than the last four Cold Steel folders I've reviewed in recent years also.

Anyway, I like the blade shape on this folder and its bigger brother and I like how the thumb stud is positioned to allow it to be sharpened without the need to first remove the reversible thumb stud in either model but I would rather not have to get my sharpener out right after opening it so I ding Cold Steel here for this much anyway. As to why I bought a Cold Steel for those of you wondering: Yes I know what you are thinking. :D Truth be told, I have been asked in recent months by several people around the forums what I thought of the Triad lock by Cold Steel and since I could not really answer that question for them since I had not really examined or owned one I felt like it was time to check out this rather new addition to the latest in super locks on the market. After seeing the youtube video Andy Demko did on that Espada I simply had to check this thing out! I've never seen a lock hold 682 pounds and still work before. That merits some high praise if you ask me. So with that in mind I started looking for a way to get into a folder with that lock without breaking the bank because I certainly was not prepared to pay for one of the models I was looking at when I first was asked about this lock type. Fortunately for me I found the triad lock in one the working man can afford and thought it would be a good one to look over.

In use the mini Lawman locks open with a good thud and positive snap from the rocker arm giving one the impression that this thing is quite capable and firmly in place. If you are looking for a tough well done lock I'd have to say based on what I see here that its certainly one in that category. I've hard stabbed this little thing several times deep in to a wood table top with my good hand and I can tell you its one of those you feel very good about doing this with. I've almost got the thing stuck in the table a couple times because it buried so deep I could barely get it out! Man you can really cut loose with it about like a fixed blade. I'm not saying I recommend it but it instills that much confidence, at least in this example. The lock is very stout on this short little giant of a folder. As you can see from the pictures showing this "Triad lock" there is a stop pin in the design. The description of how this works for positive pressure on the rocker arm is probably best done on the Cold Steel website so I'll leave you to go there for a full history of this lock.http://www.coldsteel.com/triadlock1.html I can say this much> I'm impressed with the lock.

Its obvious to me that Lynn Thompson made a great move bringing Andrew Demko into the fold over at Cold Steel. This lock is perhaps the best lockback design I've seen to date with a lock that connects as deep as any I've seen in folders many times bigger than this folder for overall foot print and sold as hard use. Look at the pictures where I show the blade half opened at how far up that lock bar has to travel before it disengages from the blade! Thats a heck of a swing on the arm there and I see that Andy had to design a way for the rocker arm to tuck up inside and under the spring itself to pull this off. The rocker arm/lockbar on this folder falls down in the blade notch very deep when it snaps closed and locks up!

I am so impressed with this lock up that I am thinking seriously of rebuilding the scales on this folder in textured titanium when I get back at it in the shop sometime early next year. Stay tuned for that one. I'll have to hit up my friend Dave for a bit more of that Tac Ti when I decide to move on that. I may elect to do the bigger model instead, or I may just do both as I plan now to purchase one of those bigger American Lawman models as well. I have not paid too much attention to Cold Steel in recent years but I've always recognized and appreciated the attention Lynn Thompson put into building a fine lock. I have tested and owned quite a few of their folders since the 1980s when I purchased my first Shinobu folder at a local gun show in Illinois where I lived at the time. I must say the consistency has waned a bit in recent years though. It seems some folders are getting out that probably should not be out there due to flaws but fortunately with the one I just received this is not the case.

Seen in the pictures you can see that the folder is really not any thicker for foot print than a common Emerson folder or much thicker than this smallish Doug Ritter folder shown beside it. The deep grip grooves in the handle combined with the texturing make it feel quite good in the hand and to my surprise my big hand fits on it very well for such a small knife. Opening the folder is a bit like other Cold Steel knives I've owned. You know when you go to move the blade to the open position that there is a beefy spring in it lets put it that way. The blade steel is AUS8 in these models. I cannot say its my first choice for blade steel but I've used worse steels thats for sure. It is a tough steel so perhaps in this style of beat em up folder its a good choice.

I'm not sure why but the blade did not seem to want to get sharp for me and I had a lot of trouble coaxing an edge out of this one that I could live with but I eventually won out. I think part of the problem is that its just left a bit thick for profile and once you thin that back some but not so much to make it weak you can make a better slicer out of this model. Even after the resharpening though, this Cold Steel model gets blown out of the water for slicing efficiency compared to this little Ritter folder or as I pointed out already, even by one of my older Cold Steel knives in what would be technically a lesser grade blade steel than this one supposedly has in it. Go figure.

In short the Cold Steel Mini Lawman folder seems to be quite a good beater upper for around $50 plus or minus.It would be a good travel knife for anyone needing such an item and I can see where it would fit the need for a lawman needing a good tough work knife. Its made in Taiwan and although it has no steel liners unlike its bigger brother its still quite rigid and strong with these thicker G10 handles. I believe the folder could take quite a bit of pounding to be perfectly honest with you. Being such a short folder its really not necessary to add liners in it since that would really just be unwanted weight.

I love the way this mini and the larger American Lawman folders look when opened. I cannot say I'm thrilled about the tang of the blade showing so much on this mini when closed but due to the mode of carry it is not so noticed in the pocket like others with a big tang showing that come tip down carry for pocket clip orientation. The finish on my folder is quite good. Most all the edges are rounded and even the tang of the blade is finished out so its not something that could really hurt should you rub by it with your fingers. On a scale of 10 with ten being the best rating I'd have to give this folder overall a high 8. I find that although nice for the money the edge profile and dullness of the model dimmed my spirits for it a bit. The lock, feel, size, and finish are all 10's though and I would have to say if you are in the market for a hard use little folder that is legal in most states, easily replaceable for little money, and loaner worthy without worry they'll hurt it that this folder should certainly be on your list of folders to check into. For the money its not half bad.

STR

Attachments

• Cold Steel Mini Lawman 003.jpg
    Cold Steel Mini Lawman 003.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Cold Steel Mini Lawman 005.jpg
    Cold Steel Mini Lawman 005.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Cold Steel Mini Lawman 006.jpg
    Cold Steel Mini Lawman 006.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Cold Steel Mini Lawman 014.jpg
    Cold Steel Mini Lawman 014.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Cold Steel Mini Lawman 008.jpg
    Cold Steel Mini Lawman 008.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Steve I love reading your review. Man you so an awesome description. I think you sould do alot more reviews but that may cause me to buy to many knives.

Thanks,
Chris

Back