Controller

Adam Pound

Just scored a Thermolyne 48000 for $60 today, only slightly used.
It came with an archaic controller though, an automatic no memory no ramp one. Does anybody know if this can be replaced with a newer aftermarket one?

I don't know about this specific oven, but almost any oven controller can be replaced if you are willing to dig into the guts enough. Depending on the existing wiring you may need to get either a new mercury relay or solid state relay (SSR) to work between the low voltage controller switches or low voltage PID output signal and the high voltage power to the coils. If you know what you are doing this isn't that difficult either. Of course you may be lucky and be able to get a new plug and play upgrade also. It all depends. In any event, you will likely have to spend a bit more than you did for the oven itself.

You might give Auber Instruments a call, they supply a variety of controllers.

You might give Auber Instruments a call, they supply a variety of controllers.
Thanks Bob, I'll take a look.

If you are running SSR(s), a couple of other controllers worth considering are the AutomationDirect Solo 4848VR and the Omega CN7823. They are the same controller with different badges.

As far as I can tell, they have the same ramp/soak capabilities as the Auber SYL 23x2p, but there is a facility to autotune at 4 different temperatures and to have the controller autoselect the PID terms for the autotune temperature closest to the setpoint. It sounds geeky, but it can make quite a difference if you use the same controller for Austenitizing and for tempering.

If you are not running SSR(s), it is definitely worth changing from relay(s)/contactor(s) to SSR(s) and running a 2-second output cycle time.

If you are running SSR(s), a couple of other controllers worth considering are the AutomationDirect Solo 4848VR and the Omega CN7823. They are the same controller with different badges.

As far as I can tell, they have the same ramp/soak capabilities as the Auber SYL 23x2p, but there is a facility to autotune at 4 different temperatures and to have the controller autoselect the PID terms for the autotune temperature closest to the setpoint. It sounds geeky, but it can make quite a difference if you use the same controller for Austenitizing and for tempering.

If you are not running SSR(s), it is definitely worth changing from relay(s)/contactor(s) to SSR(s) and running a 2-second output cycle time.
Tim, this is definitely old enough to be a relay oven. I get the impression that switching it to SSR may be fairly straightforward, and I know for sure that there are some good controllers at a good price out there. I have also found the upgraded controllers for this oven, (as it was made with those as an option), so I might just switch it out for one of those.
Used it yesterday to do a piece of 1/16" 15N20 for a paring knife and a piece of 0.106" AEB-L for a kitchen knife.
What a difference from using my forge!
I bet everyone says that, LOL!

I know you can get a Bartlett control but there expensive. I think I have some info on one (when I considered building my own oven) but I have to try and find it

Ok could not find d the one I looked at. So what I did was Google "PROGRAMABLE PID" gave me a bunch to look at under $100. You can do that and just figure out what one will work best for you. Also a lot of them popped up on Amazon with the supporting hardware your gonna need to run the oven

Ok could not find d the one I looked at. So what I did was Google "PROGRAMABLE PID" gave me a bunch to look at under $100. You can do that and just figure out what one will work best for you. Also a lot of them popped up on Amazon with the supporting hardware your gonna need to run the oven
I did an Amazon check as well, and found the same selection. I had previously bought an Inkbird controller for cheese-making, and it worked well so I would think about looking to see if they do high temp one. Just got to look into how to convert the relay works to SSR...

converting relays to solid state relays should be plug and play. SSR have two terminals for the “coil” and then the switch terminals. Some relays have extra options, but if you’re running off a controller you don’t need the relay to add any complexity.

Just look for SSR with the same control voltage and amp capacity as the current relays.

Back