coolant supply for hand sanding???

NickWheeler

So lately my wheels have been turning about building a set up so I can have my choice of coolant flushed over a blade while I'm hand sanding it.

Something I could tap a switch and get some coolant to wash over the blade and then turn it right back off.

I've considered pond pumps, the coolant pumps like is on my bandsaw. I would probably use Loc-Line http://www.modularhose.com/ for actually aiming the stuff where I'm sanding.

Heck, if I had a water line close to my finishing bench I'd use that, as I won't want to actually cycle the water as the coarse grit would contaminate the coolant and mess up the finer grits.

This may be more trouble than it's worth, but it might be worth the trouble in order to upgrade from my current spritz bottles of KoolMist and Windex. :)

So have any of you done this, or thought about it?

Last edited:
I just found this, it's pretty neat-O.

Model60M18closeup-big.jpg

Hello Nick , aka , Winlock Wheeler . I've done that on the past and it is slick . I was not concerned at the time of the grit changes but I would think that if you had a deep bucket with a recirc. set up , you could angle the bucket so the heavy metals sink down below the pump water line .

Just a thought to say hello .

How about a slow drip from a bucket with a valve and hose? I have drip cups on my diamond and stone tool grinders.

How about a pint can with the little spout on it?:D As usual, Nick has to overcomplcate everything. How much "cooling" do you ned to do when hand sanding? LOL

Knifemaking isn't the fun part... it's the copious amounts of time spent on figuring out different ways to do it. huh1 :D

Dang, Nick! You hand sand fast enough you need coolant?
I'm impressed.

Last edited:
Well at this rate I'm surprised nobody has told me to just hand sand in a fish tank. :eek: :p

I thought "coolant" might get me less flack than "lubricant." :D LOL

I guess it doesn't matter if you're doing hand work so fast you need coolant or a constant supply of lubricant...nevermind. :haha:

I don't even feel bad because I was looking through Tim Han****'s book and see he has something just like I was thinking about!!! 2thumbs

edited to say that it's hilarious the forum won't let me type Han****.... lmao

who is this Tim Han**** guy? :)

pm me his name and i'll have a look at the dirty word censor.

Hah hah - dirty word censor...

how about this one crunt heh heh... that is one of my favorites

Nick, the problem with what you're wanting to do is most any good cutting fluid is something you want to avoid long term skin contact. I'd apply that to windex, WD40, kerosene.

For this reason, my favorite is Trim Microsol 585 at a 20:1 water dilution. The stuff is pretty begin and it is a high performance coolant (for your amazing hand sanding speeds) and a good cutting fluid. I'm starting to put it into all my sumps. It was originally designed for cast iron, but it works well everywhere. I'd still wear nitrile. BTW, it prevents rust better than Windex or spit. Spit - who said that? bleh.

I wouldn't mix grits though. Stuff stays suspended a long time.

I know I derailed this thread myself, but I am still interested in doing it... so let's see if I can clear some of this stuff up.

I don't want to actually have a constant supply of flood coolant just washing over my work like you'd see on a CNC machining center.

What I DO want/am interested in... Is a set up where I could tap a switch with my foot that would put a small wash of coolant/lubricant over the work. This would get rid of the gunk built up, and make it easy to see my sanding progress.

My current method is: Spray blade with KoolMist or Windex, Sand like hell, Wipe down and inspect. Repeat.

This gizmo I'm dreaming up would eliminate most of the wiping down and inspecting.

I was thinking it would pump out of one tank, and it would drain into a different tank.

Nathan, I'll look into the 585.

Oh, the maker's name that can't be posted is Tim Hankock (insert c for first k ;) ).

If you look around, Nick, you can find small foot pumps that move just a little air each depression. You can make a pressure tank from a plastic bottle, since it won't need to hold much pressure. Run the pump into the top of the vessel, above the liquid. Run a line from under the liquid level to a stand over your workpiece and you can put a simple device into operation for not a lot money. We used devices like this in the lab to dispense small amounts of fluids.

Added: hospitals uses devices much like this to dispense soap for surgical scrub.

Last edited:
Yep... Tim Hancock's book. A GREAT book by the way. Shows an unbelievable body of work, as well as Tim making one of his dog-bone daggers from start to finish. I'd think the man was amazing whether he was my friend or not... fortunately I can and do call him a friend. :)

Mike... that sounds perfect. Simple and cheap! And since I'll be at the hospital later to visit Grandma.... I just might have to keep an eye out for such a pump! ;) :D Thanks for the heads up my friend. cool 1

Back