Corby help

Lagrange

I bought some corby's from Boss to make some smaller knives thinking they would be the ticket.

Funny thing is, I can't figure out how to drill the handle material out for them.
Can anyone tell me what they use to make the holes to use these.
They have a .185 head and a .135 shaft.

Eric,
When I order those or my fav, The Loveless bolts, I buy a corresponding step drill from the supplier that will make your smaller bolt hole and the larger nut hole for the countersink.

Or you can just go to the hard ware store and buy some drill bits of those two sizes.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

This is going to show you exactly how to drill for Colby's. Fast forward to where you need to see....

[video=youtube;a0nJiIddKHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0nJiIddKHo[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've done corby's before but not this small. I normally use a bit I bought that fits the medium sized corby's perfectly, but these smaller ones, there doesnt seem to be a single bit...like a 90 degree step drill available outside of a custom order piece available.
I was curious how someone else tackled the job.
I did drill out the material with a larger bit for the shoulder with a standard high speed drill bit, but I thought there might be someone with an idea of where a specialized bit was available. I like these small corby's and would like to use them more on the smaller knife handles.

Thanks guys!

See what Jantz carries for step bits for the Corbies and Loveless bolts that they carry. They list the size of the shaft and head for the bits.

Doug

I bought a couple of "stepped" bits from Jantz, specifically made for their corresponding corbies.

If you have some drill rod and access to a lathe, you could make your own very easily.

Before that though, I used to just use two different sized bits. Doesn't leave you with as square of a shoulder obviously, but it works well enough.

POP'S knife supply has the small corby's with the corresponding countersink. There corby's are 3/16" diameter head with a 1/8" shaft. Been using them for years, quality stuff and James Poplin makes the corby's himself.
Clint

Back