corian scales

victoroni

question - just finished a fillet/boning knife with corian (actually a corian clone ) handle scales. i'm happy with the handle - first time using corian - its nice to work with but do i need to seal it with something ? couldn't find answer on the forum. anybody have an answer for me ? thanks dogs

I've used it on pens and such. The only finish I ever used was carnuba wax. Just apply it like on wood or synthetic , let it dry snd buff it out. Corian is pretty tough stuff.

Because my Father-In-Law does plumbing work he has piles of Corian lying around from when it was popular as a counter top material. Maybe I should raid said piles and try it out. Might be good for kitchen knives...

Not the best picture, but I have used it before. If I had a better source, I will use it again. The red spacers in this handle are corian.

4-DEED57-D-44-A9-419-B-A56-A-5-A19908264-A5.jpg

Because my Father-In-Law does plumbing work he has piles of Corian lying around from when it was popular as a counter top material. Maybe I should raid said piles and try it out. Might be good for kitchen knives...
I've made 70 knives with Corian. It is excellent...BUT...it is brittle. You want to put generous round edge breaks. A tight corner taking a blow I think would crack much easier that some of the Acrylic (which are on the too soft side..imo) handles. It's made for the kitchen...water does not affect it. It is a pain to sand and buffs like a dream. I use white compound a soft wheel...and very light pressure. Usually sanding to 600 grit paper makes for easy buffing...I have flung more than a few buffing and not one crack...but I do have big rounds on the edges.

thanks guys for the input - my concern was since the knife is ostensibly a fillet knife, would the corian tend to stain from contact with blood ? maybe try sealing with tru-oil ? what are your thoughts ?

Ive never tried it. Corian seems to be non porous . I'd run a test and see if it stains. Probably won't.
If it were in my shop, it would have already been tested with my blood.!

Corian is much the same recipe to the old bakelite of the 50s....it's primary purpose is kitchen countertops...the different mixes do behave differently. None of them stain easily. I do not put any finish on mine. I believe that a high lustre buff job is the best you can do on it.

Here's from one of the Corian distributors site:

" A Corian ® surface that has been professionally fabricated and installed is completely sealed and non-porous, meaning it creates a durable barrier without having to be sealed. As members of the DuPont Quality Network, every Corian ® work surface we install comes with a 10-year manufacturer-backed guarantee.Mar 29, 2018 "

OK - once again thanks for all the input - it seems as tho corian doesn't need to be sealed. i think i will try tru oil and then maybe do a stain test on a piece of scrap - results will be forthcoming

Back