Culinary Set in Redwood Burl

John Wilson

I had a customer request a full culinary set. Originally these knives were going to get curly maple handles. I had some gorgeous curly maple from John Doyle and I was excited to use it. Then John offered up blocks of Redwood Burl and I jumped that. When I posted pics of the Redwood Burl blocks on my facebook page, this customer called me immediately and said, "I want that wood on my knives!" And so... that's what he got.

The blades are AEB-L hardened to 61Rc. They are all .110 at the spine with full distal tapers, except for the fillet/boning knife which is .070 and the taper begins about 1/3 down the spine from the handle because I wanted the blade a little stiffer.

These are cell phone pics. I will upload the good photos later.

handles.jpg set complete side view.jpg

Those are fantastic, John! I've got a piece of redwood burl that I have yet to use. Now I know I'll be using it soon. Thanks for sharing.

The knives are Beautiful!! I think the Redwood Burl is my favorite wood. I'm working on a small Demascus Hunting knife that's gonna use a piece of burl. The pieces I have look like their on Fire!

Beautiful knives John, redwood burl is one of my favorite woods too, the stuff is awesome looking.
That customers going to love that set.

thanks guys! This wood was an absolute dream to work with. By the way, the cutting edges are not uneven- that is just the light falling off and the angle of the camera. This is a quickie cell phone pic after I took good pics with my SLR, so the angle is off a bit, too.

Beautiful work!! knocked it outta the park n this set...hope you hand deliver these to see the look on the guy's face!

Back