Cutting scales

bodam

This might be a dumb question, but how do ya'll cut blocks into handle scales?

I've tried several ways, but I ruin the wood each time I try.

I cut mine in half with the band saw. If you can't cut two scales out of a handle block of wood, you need a new saw. Or at least a new blade.

I can cut them on the metal band saw, but they don't come out straight. I wanted to know how you cut them straight? Like you were going to re-sell them?

Or if I buy a block, how do you cut them in equal pieces?

I've tried to make a fence on my Swag table, but they don't come out straight.

Secret to cutting them on the metal bandsaw, relatively straight, is to cut slow with minimal pressure. It takes longer, but you can get a straight cut. I usually scribe or draw a line to follow.

Secret to cutting them on the metal bandsaw, relatively straight, is to cut slow with minimal pressure. It takes longer, but you can get a straight cut. I usually scribe or draw a line to follow.

^^^This.

Tuning the bandsaw properly makes a very big difference.

^^^And especially this.

I cut mine on a wood bandsaw but it is properly tuned and well taken care of. If the block is relatively square and flat, I do as Jason said and mark a center line and free hand it. Using a fence on a band saw is a lot different than using a fence on a table saw. A ripping or resawing fence for a bandsaw has a round cylinder right next to the blade that's not much wider than the blade and that is the only point where the wood touches anything.

It's just as easy to mark a center line and free hand it. A bandsaw cut will never be a finished flat cut. You'll need to sand them flat or mill them or something. If your saw won't make a pretty equal cut and cut two scales more or less the same, then you need to revisit tuning your saw and/or buy a new blade or maybe a better saw.

I use the bandsaw and also mark/scribe lines to keep it straight. If I want to just split in half I just mark one line but I mark both top and bottom and check often during the cut to insure that I keeping the cut vertical. If I want to make several cuts I mark several lines. I usually use a piece of steel, Micarta, or G-10 as a straight edge to make the mark. For instance, if I want to cut a pair of 3/16" scales I lay a piece of 3/16" steel (or whatever I have of the desired thickness) on my bench plate and then butt the wood up against it and mark/scribe my line. Also, I always cut a little thicker (1/16"-3/32") than the desired thickness. That way I can sand out the saw marks and any slight waves and still get a good flat surface of the finished thickness I want.

Bandsaws? How bout a table saw? Can't get much straighter than that.

That's fine too. It eats up a lot of waste though with the much wider blade and can be the difference between getting one set of scales or two out of a typical knife sized block of wood.

The only thing about a table saw is that the blades are wider and you will get a wider kerf. With either a band saw or a table saw you will need a good rip fence. Needless to say use a push stick with either one.

Doug

I use a table saw with a Freud D0724X Diablo 7-1/4-Inch 24 Tooth which is listed as a .059" kerf - it does cut a tad wider than that, but still pretty thin. Actually uses less wood than cutting with my portaband, then leveling with grinder.

Ken H>

I do like others here, square up the block a bit for good flats, then measure and mark a center line, cut free hand on a wood band saw. but then, I go to a disc sander and use dial calipers to make each scale the same thickness all the way around, then to a granite block to check for flatness.

I use a bench top band saw. The wider the blade the better. I still have to grind them flat on my 4 X 36" belt sander.

Good point Mr. Doyle and Mr. Lester. I have had bad results using a band saw and still have to sand them flat. I've been using a table saw but there is more waste. I've used only scavenged hardwood, been too cheap to go stabilized yet.

. . . or you could cut them at my place, since I am about 2 miles away from you. I have multiple blades for my vertical wood saw . . . for whatever may be needed.

Mike L.

Hey, wait a minute Mike, you're in Texas, and JBH shows he's in OR?

JBH - that blade I referenced is only $10 or so - and there's not much waste with a table saw using it.

Ken H>

Back