D2

Walt2

I have been using this steel for years and have always had it tempered to 61-62. Some have suggested that I should try 60-61. I am lazy and do not want to do cutting tests to compare edge retention. Any opinions?

If you have been happy with the strength/toughness at your current heat treat than you are not going to gain a noticable increase in performance. That said, you would not LOSE noticable performance in edge retention either. It’s only 1 HRC point in question.

Edge retention seems to be these rednecks main concern but some gripe about resharpening. Wondering if the 1 point in hardness would make any noticeable difference in sharpening.

I guess you could say it would ease sharpening a bit. But even sharpening is a subjective thing, I believe. I make knives from CPM3V & CPM20CV exclusively! And both are treated to 61hrc. Neither one presents me with any problem of sharpening.(And I’ve only got one arm/hand to use!) I made my own sharpening machine & use ONLY water stones. Diamond for metal removal and Shapton Glass for polishing. And my results are the sharpest I’ve ever come in contact with. This said, when I sharpen most other conventional steels the sharpening ease is very noticeable. But it still does not make me think sharpening my 20CV is “difficult”. My point is it’s relative to ones ability & supplies. I possess expert ability in sharpening because I am a Knifemaker. Most knife USERS are not experts. But neither was I 10 years ago!

I guess you could say it would ease sharpening a bit. But even sharpening is a subjective thing, I believe. I make knives from CPM3V & CPM20CV exclusively! And both are treated to 61hrc. Neither one presents me with any problem of sharpening.(And I’ve only got one arm/hand to use!) I made my own sharpening machine & use ONLY water stones. Diamond for metal removal and Shapton Glass for polishing. And my results are the sharpest I’ve ever come in contact with. This said, when I sharpen most other conventional steels the sharpening ease is very noticeable. But it still does not make me think sharpening my 20CV is “difficult”. My point is it’s relative to ones ability & supplies. I possess expert ability in sharpening because I am a Knifemaker. Most knife USERS are not experts. But neither was I 10 years ago!

I primarily use a 1"X 30" belt grinder setup to put a primary bevel and then go to nothing but diamond stones from then on. Never have used CP
M20CV but have used quite a bit of 3V. I have mainly used 3V, D2, M4, CPM154, CPMS35VN, and CPMD2 I have been making some knives for over 30 years but only started to do more than just one once in awhile a little over 20 yrs ago. It has been primarily a hobby for me since I am drawing 2 retirements and am now 81 yrs of age and do not want a full time job.

Back