Damaged anvil...

Phoenix

A guy is trying to sell me this old anvil. I'd like to know if a broken corner could be fixed, or if the anvil is even still usable.

Here's a picture of the broken corner.

5V05Q65U03k53od3pbbca3b2e9b9496441199.jpg

I think it's a old Fisher anvil, but as you can hopefully see the eagle emblem (if that's what this is) is not very clear.

5U15P45R43oa3pe3lcbca45a09382f0471330.jpg

I'm no expert but I would pass on that one. The only option to repair something like that is to weld, and welds tend to come apart on anvils in my experience. The edges look pretty badly used all the way around, even without the missing corner I would probably pass unless it was really cheap and I had a use for a really rough anvil.

go to Steve at Matchless Antiques. You can find him on Ebay. Has some great anvils and lots of them-- some a pricey but I got one and it is well worth it.

Thanks to you both, and I was thinking about how rough the edges were when I first looked at the anvil. I appreciate your pointing it out again though since it re-emphasized another negative aspect of the old anvil.

I was thinking since it's so rough a person might cut off the messed up end, resurface it, and it would probably be okay.

I've always liked to restore old things. However, considering how much work I'd have to put into it as well as what you brought up about the price Mr. King I guess I'll just forget about it. Guy seems to think it's "worth it's weight", and doesn't appear willing to take any less than his original price. I'm not willing to put very much into a anvil which has been so badly abused.

I'll check out the ebay guy, and also keep looking elsewhere.

Thanks again for the input gentlemen.

Back