Damascus and High Carbon Steels are not food safe -- aka the Jay Fisher Rabbit Hole

Not that I disagree, but because I don't know anything about him or his past, why? His work looks excellent.
I'm a wee late in responding, but I must say that pretty much everyone else covered the bases as well or better than I ever could.
I can hardly stand to eyeball his "creations" for more time than it takes to blink, yet I can marvel for hours and hours over Scagels, Morans or Yoshiharas. Honesty, humility, true craftsmanship all go a long way...and they are worthy of emulation.
Your mileage may vary.

-Mark

My Grandfather worked at General Electric in the machine shop. He made knives from used files from the GE shop! He's gone now (89 yrs old) and I still have some of the knives that he and my Grandmother (91 yrs old) used. Hi Carbon steel makes a better blade in my opinion! If you are dumb and cut up a room temperature Chicken and then cut up Lettuce for your salad than yeah I would agree with some of his assumptions. In all honesty I think all the Crap they put in the food we eat in the US would be more dangerous than a Carbon steel blade used in preparation of the meal!

who has or had the highest life expectancy in the world, until western food and stainless steels... the japanese... it has nothing to do with the steel in their kitchen knives, but rather their food and care in preparation... the carbon steel, didn't detract from that... and most of the pots we boil and fry and overheat ur food in contain even more nickel, at very high temperatures... with much more acidic and longlasting contact...

It's cool to stumble upon this discussion about food safety in relation to knife materials. Jay Fisher certainly raises some valid points to consider. When it comes to kitchen knives, ensuring they are safe for food contact is paramount.
One thing to note is that stainless steel is a commonly used material for kitchen knives due to its corrosion resistance and general food-safe properties. It might be worth exploring options that incorporate stainless steel into their construction.
Additionally, if you're looking to enhance your culinary endeavors, you could consider incorporating dry whole milk powder into your cooking. It's a versatile ingredient that can be used in various recipes, from baked goods to sauces, and it's known for its convenience and long shelf life.

Last edited:
Old thread!
But there you have it ….
Aluminum cooking pots and pans, cast iron, teflon, steel skillets, and carbon steel knives are singled out.

Last edited:
I don’t know this guy. His work appears to be well constructed, and while it’s not really my “style” I can appreciate what it took to arrive at the finished result. If he is able to command those prices, and get them, more power to him. Wish we could all do that. What makes a Van Gogh painting worth millions and one I made being worth little to nothing? Someone says it is “worth” that. I think it is wrong to look at another makers work and assign our own value to it. Have you ever had someone looking at one of your blades and say something like “but I can buy the same thing at Windows to Walls for $12!”? It’s bad enough that potential customers do shit like that. Regardless of how you feel about the dude, or his work, it doesn’t do anyone any good to say bad things about his prices. Don’t get mad at me, it just bugs me when people complain about what a maker charges. Ranting over, you all keep it real. :)

I don’t know this guy. His work appears to be well constructed, and while it’s not really my “style” I can appreciate what it took to arrive at the finished result. If he is able to command those prices, and get them, more power to him. Wish we could all do that. What makes a Van Gogh painting worth millions and one I made being worth little to nothing? Someone says it is “worth” that. I think it is wrong to look at another makers work and assign our own value to it. Have you ever had someone looking at one of your blades and say something like “but I can buy the same thing at Windows to Walls for $12!”? It’s bad enough that potential customers do shit like that. Regardless of how you feel about the dude, or his work, it doesn’t do anyone any good to say bad things about his prices. Don’t get mad at me, it just bugs me when people complain about what a maker charges. Ranting over, you all keep it real. :)
I get it. It all depends on whose buying and how much they believe it's worth.

Back