Damascus

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
Who are the makers of damascus that those of you who do not make it for yourselves buy from. What state are the bars in when you get them as in flat and parellel, annealed or hardened. I have bought a few bars from an Australian outlet that are hardened to 56-58 and ready to grind and finish. https://creativeman.com.au/steel/ I have the ladder pattern for a buffalo skinner and bought the raindrop pattern for a Safari Hunter but it was a bit short and yes I know I should have been more careful in reading the specs but I can use it for a shorter knife at some stage so I bought a bar of the random pattern to do the two knife order I have for them.
I would like to look into getting some feather pattern if anyone can point me to who makes and sells bars. Not interested in low layer count or low quality steel (eg afghan made) as these will be for discerning buyers and I need to be able to quote with confidence in what I am making the knives from.

Randy Haas (HHH here on KD) makes/sells damascus. I have never used any so I have no opinion on that aspect.

There was another member here that makes/sells it. I cannot remember his name. Last name started with a P. Ponzi?? Ponzl??
I have never used any so I have no opinion on that aspect.

I've used a lot of Alabama Damascus, I usually buy a lot from him in person every couple years. that way I can put an eye on the pieces I'm buying. I've always liked his steel but I don't know if he ships international, you'd have to look into that. I'll say this, his steel is priced right, easy to heat treat and takes a good hardness. I think you can see examples of his Damascus on ebay if he still sell's there. I know there's a lot of photo's of knives with his steel on this forum.

I also use Mike Norris stainless and Damasteel stainless. they both make beautiful blades although the heat treating and etching is more complicated. both are also relatively expensive but as the old saying go's........you get what you pay for. :D

Alabama does not do feather. Randy Haas has it. Alabama comes annealed and blanchard ground to known thicknesses. Brad uses a 4 steel blend to forge to 416 layers. I have quit making because I could buy his so much easier.

As stated Randy Haas makes Damascus and it is an excellent product , I believe Randys phone # is on his web site , give him a call.

I have seen a lot of Damascus sold on the market in my years of knifemaking and the alloys used in the mix should be common sense, and one of the first considerations, so I feel compelled to give a rare endorsement due to that factor. I have personally watched Randy Haas and son make their steel and they have a good process, and choose the correct alloys to match in their product. if I were not capable of making any Damascus imaginable myself HHH would be on my list of suppliers.

I have seen a lot of Damascus sold on the market in my years of knifemaking and the alloys used in the mix should be common sense, and one of the first considerations, so I feel compelled to give a rare endorsement due to that factor. I have personally watched Randy Haas and son make their steel and they have a good process, and choose the correct alloys to match in their product. if I were not capable of making any Damascus imaginable myself HHH would be on my list of suppliers.
I have sent Randy an email so will see what the response is.

I was watching FIF last Wednesday and 4 billets of his were on the table for the contestants to pick from. (old show) I liked the sharkstooth pattern. That's on my list to make. (try... lol) The show was a 2018 show. I forgot all about him retiring from damascus.

Back