Dana Hackney passed his ABS Journeyman performance test!

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
Last weekend Dana and Sandy came up here for a few days and he brought his test knife along to show me how it works. I'll let him chime in here and give some details. I did take a couple pictures that I cant post because my computer inhaled a virus. Please come back and have a look.
Congrats Dana!!

Good for you Dana, :biggrin: Now the fun work begins.
Thanks Bruce for sharing this news. Pics Dana Please

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

Thanks Denny and Bing!

I've been out of commission for a few days with a cold and am just getting back to the emails and forums.

I can't tell you how relieved I was when that last degree went buy! The blade never cracked either! YeeeHaaaa! Now, as you said, Bing, the hard work of producing 5 perfect knives begins. I'm going the advice that Ed, Bruce and Bing and others have passed along and adhere to the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid):).

Thanks to all that contributed to helping me pass the first phase!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'm at work and need to get back to it but I just had to extend a quick thanks you all.

Dana

Congrats again Dana!

I knew you (and the knife ;) ) would do it. I'll be looking forward to seeing how your presentation knives come along.

Bruce, I'm glad you got some pictures! I told Dana to make sure someone took pictures so I could see, since I couldn't be there in person.
Hurry up and get that computer fixed :s11779: ! You're killing me here, lol.

Thanks Josh and Graham!

I think these tests are really a community effort. I could not have done it without ya'all's support and encouragement!

Thanks again!
Dana

Thanks, a lot, Romey and the other Bruce:)!

I'm already trying to plan my 5 knives. I wanted to get started ASAP but I've just gotten several knife orders that I'm going to have to finish first - what a problem - huh?!

Thanks again guys!
Dana

Dana, I wanted to add some congratulations from a stock removal guy too. I'm really looking forward to the pics from the test, and to your JS knives. Way to go!

Many thanks, Dave, for the congrats! It would not have happened without the help from so many friends and mentors like Bruce , Ed Caffrey, Graham, Bing, Steve Kelly and others!

Thanks, again, Dave!
Dana

Congratulation Dana!! Love to see some pics of your work

Thanks, so much, Stabber! I do have some past sales up on BladeGallery.
I sent a couple to Daniel and Drew there recently, and they should be displayed soon. My link on his website had been disabled as all my stuff got sold. Hopefully it'll be active shortly.

Thanks again!
Dana

Congrats Dana. I never even knew you were testing already. I don't think you will have any trouble with the 5 knives required. I have seen your work and it is very impressive. Good luck Dana and keep us posted with pictures.
Say hello to Sandy for Bev and I.

Jim

Hey Jim!

Thanks, a bunch, for the congrats. This test just "happened" :). A Sandy and I spent a few days at Bruce and Kaye's and since I had the knife "handy" I figured I'd give things a go and it all worked out.
Weew! What a relief to get that part of the "exam" out of the way. I'm already drawing up some ideas for the 5 presentation knives. I plan on making them my priority for the next half year :)!

Please say hi to Bev for Sandy and me too.

Dana

I'm still around and checking in here. Son Mike is working day and night to restore my blown up computer. (well not really) I picked up more ram memory today and if that works I should have some pictures of the cut N bend test. I cant believe how sharp that edge stayed. He cut the 2x4 in half twice and the rope about 15 times. It was absolutely perfect with not as much as a hint of deformation or chipping. It shaved like crazy afterward. The bend test was a exciting and no dreaded "SNAP" at anytime. I bet he could straighten it out and do it again. Nice Heat Treat Dana. Congrats Brother!

Back