Design questions for the KITH

Kev

What is the general consensus on “recurve Bowie’s”? I’ve looked extensively online and most of what I’ve found is very Kukuri like, but there are a couple of designs I really like.
I’m just spitballing trying to come up with some new ideas. I try my very best to use a KITH to expand my skill set and try something new. Maybe on this one I just keep it clean and go the traditional route. Decisions, decisions!!

Mine has a slight re-curve to it. Personally I like a some what subtle recurve blade. I'd make mine more pronounced accept I don't believe at this point I could pull it off. I'll be lucky if I get the slight recurve in this one correct.

I have made a few karambits, which could be viewed as a “recurve shape”. The only way I could find to produce a flat grind on the inside (recurved) edge was to grind it on the very edge or corner of the platen. If someone knows a better way please share. Doug Marcadia has made them fairly popular so I know I will be asked to make another. For KITH do what you want to do, recutve it if you wish to try that skill. Personally, other than for looks, I don’t see a use for a recurve but it does have a CDI factor I cannot deny. Good luck

Doesn't a recurve blade require a slack belt set up giving the blade a convex edge?
Hmmm...good question. Now that you mention it and I think about it you're probably right. When I attempted a recurve blade once before I just used a flat grind and the curve was just on the edge. As it was, I lost the recurve as I finished it up. I'll have to think about that

I have made a few karambits, which could be viewed as a “recurve shape”. The only way I could find to produce a flat grind on the inside (recurved) edge was to grind it on the very edge or corner of the platen. If someone knows a better way please share. Doug Marcadia has made them fairly popular so I know I will be asked to make another. For KITH do what you want to do, recutve it if you wish to try that skill. Personally, other than for looks, I don’t see a use for a recurve but it does have a CDI factor I cannot deny. Good luck
Sorrells has a video on this I believe.

I’ve read and seen several different methods for making a recurve, and I’ve researched the different platens and things. I feel confident I can pull it off.

I’m mostly interested in how people feel about the function and aesthetics of a recurve on an actual Bowie knife. Does it help the functionality? Hinder it? Do they look good? Goofy?

I know I am in a decided minority , but I found it relatively easy to grind ( file ) the recurve shape with a half round , coarse cut bastard file. By changing the pressure on the file and the angle of attack , it was pretty fast and easy to shape.

My two cents and others may feel differently but a recurve blade is hard to sharpen. But then agree I might be going at it the wrong eayy.

I have done recurves before, and it wasn’t bad. Sharpening isn’t too hard either, at least the way I do it.
I just can’t decide if I could pull off a Bowie and maintain a classic type look.

I’ve read and seen several different methods for making a recurve, and I’ve researched the different platens and things. I feel confident I can pull it off.

I’m mostly interested in how people feel about the function and aesthetics of a recurve on an actual Bowie knife. Does it help the functionality? Hinder it? Do they look good? Goofy?

The recurve is designed for slashing cuts, "pulling" the target into the belly (for lack of a better word). So functionally, it works on a Bowie, which is basically a fighting knife. I also like the aesthetics, at least on the more subtle varieties. Too much and you end up with more of a kukri shape.

My two cents and others may feel differently but a recurve blade is hard to sharpen. But then agree I might be going at it the wrong eayy.

Not sure on right or wrong way - but I in my case I think it's a wide stone with sharp corners that makes it difficult. I've been thinking about buying a round sharpening rod for field carry.https://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/na315.htm
Right now I use an old stone with the corners wore off. It looks like the platen seen in the link Sean Jones posted. I also have a Lasnky sharpening system with stones that are only 1/2" wide. Those corners don't catch on the recurve knives I have. And I also have a river rock I use for an Ecko Forge carbon steel kitchen knife I found in the drawer. But that knife probably doesn't have a high hardness. In all those cases it's the curvature of the stone that helps sharpen my knives with a recurve. Is that kind of what you meant by hard to sharpen? I know you might be thinking something else since you might be using a belt grinder to sharpen.

I think they look good if not "drastic"...everything is a "to what degree" with knifemaking methinks...lol!

Not sure on right or wrong way - but I in my case I think it's a wide stone with sharp corners that makes it difficult. I've been thinking about buying a round sharpening rod for field carry.https://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/na315.htm
Right now I use an old stone with the corners wore off. It looks like the platen seen in the link Sean Jones posted. I also have a Lasnky sharpening system with stones that are only 1/2" wide. Those corners don't catch on the recurve knives I have. And I also have a river rock I use for an Ecko Forge carbon steel kitchen knife I found in the drawer. But that knife probably doesn't have a high hardness. In all those cases it's the curvature of the stone that helps sharpen my knives with a recurve. Is that kind of what you meant by hard to sharpen? I know you might be thinking something else since you might be using a belt grinder to sharpen.
No you are right on. I don't have any narrow or round sharpening stones. I don't like to sharpen on the grinder.

Back