DIY Buffer, searched and want to make sure my set-up is ok.

scherf68

Making a buffer out of 1 hp 1800 rpm motor, I had it from my grinder upgrade. The rotation will be going down (counter clockwise) as pictured. Bought a 6 inch arbor extension (not here yet) and from research, to stay at 1800 rpm will need 4 inch pads, need confirmation. I will post photos of set-up below, this will be for buffing handles only (on blade though), will never buff a blade. I also made some leather blade covers to wrap around blade while buffing handles. Are these parameters safe, would prefer less hp but had the motor. The stand is heavy duty, was used for my vice and bolted to cement floor.

buffer.jpg
buffer2.jpg

Last edited:
I use a pair of 1 1/2 hp 3600 rpm baldor buffers that i bought 40 years ago and i use 8 inch buffing wheels on them.......I can really put a lot of weight into the buffer without slowing them down........as long as you develop good safe buffing techniques you can buff handles,blades ,any thing you want.......i buff all my edges to shaving sharp......there is a safe way to use a buffer and as long as you respect them they are not as scary as some would have you believe.....there are videos on proper buffing techniques

You've got a good setup there - and with good safety measures. As you said a smaller motor would be nice, but use what you've got. As TMR mentioned 8" wheels are nice - they give enough diameter to reach past the motor to make it easier to buff handles.

I'm certain that it is totally unsafe. So that you do not injure yourself, you should send the whole dangerous contraption to me. I'm only about 600 miles north of you, so shipping is not a big deal. Hell, I'll pay the shipping for you. Just trying to save you from yourself. Don't listen to those other guys, they don't care about you like I do.

I used to think certain things were unsafe. Then I started watching Pakistani Truck repair videos on youtube. Now I realize that cheating death on the regular is just part of a good day's work. /sarc (but seriously, check out those videos. It's amazing what they get done with almost nothing)

back on topic,

I'd definitely go with 8" wheels. You want all the clearance you can get between the knife and the motor frame.

I have a 3450rpm Baldor with 8" buffs. Yours will at least be only half as scary as that.

That's really a fine set up. I'd use mine more if it only ran half the speed.

Pakistani Truck repair videos
I've not watched any of those but I can imagine. I remember when I was living in Central America and riding the "chicken bus" - there was some really "interesting" repairs going there. Once the bus stopped along side road and several men got off. I figured they were just taking a "leak" along side the bus, then I noticed some where looking under the bus. I get off bus and look under to see what was so interesting. Well, there was a guy under there packing grease in a "Y" fork of a small tree that was used as a hanger bearing support on the driveshaft. The hanger bearing had fallen out, so they chopped a tree with fork, wedged in place to hold driveshaft up and packed around shaft rubbing on tree fork with grease. They had to stop from time to time to repack grease.

Those were some interesting times - I've even had to ride on top when the bus was packed too full get get another inside. Up topside my daughter and I go along with the pigs and goat, and other folks.

I used to think certain things were unsafe. Then I started watching Pakistani Truck repair videos on youtube. Now I realize that cheating death on the regular is just part of a good day's work. /sarc (but seriously, check out those videos. It's amazing what they get done with almost nothing)

back on topic,

I'd definitely go with 8" wheels. You want all the clearance you can get between the knife and the motor frame.
You think that’s bad you should see the Pakistani “gunsmiths“ I use the term gunsmith lightly but it’s a miracle any of them are still alive. LOL

White rouge? Depending on the color of the handle you might could use white. There are two things to consider with the rouge, how fine a grit, and color. I use a pink rouge, and just "touch" the wood to bring out the shine. I normally hand sand to 800 to 1200 grit before using the buffer. Sometimes if there are any "open" pores a tad of rouge might get packed in and show color after polishing.

A couple of things to remember: Always store each buffing wheel in it's own gallon ziploc baggie to keep it clean. Always keep the buffs separate, with a different buffing wheel for each color of rouge used. If there are large metal pins (corby) in the handle, buffing those will tend to make the buffing wheel dark. Buffing the guard will make wheel dark, and that's really bad for a light color wood. It WILL show up.

When a buffing wheel gets too dark I have requested wife to wash with the laundry and that helps clean them.

A fully sewn spiral wheel is for more aggressive buffing with a loose buffing wheel for the final polish, which is what you want for a wood handle.

Buffers are really handy around the shop and are no more dangerous than many other tools - just gotta remember to treat them with respect and BE CAREFUL!!

White rouge? Depending on the color of the handle you might could use white. There are two things to consider with the rouge, how fine a grit, and color. I use a pink rouge, and just "touch" the wood to bring out the shine. I normally hand sand to 800 to 1200 grit before using the buffer. Sometimes if there are any "open" pores a tad of rouge might get packed in and show color after polishing.

A couple of things to remember: Always store each buffing wheel in it's own gallon ziploc baggie to keep it clean. Always keep the buffs separate, with a different buffing wheel for each color of rouge used. If there are large metal pins (corby) in the handle, buffing those will tend to make the buffing wheel dark. Buffing the guard will make wheel dark, and that's really bad for a light color wood. It WILL show up.

When a buffing wheel gets too dark I have requested wife to wash with the laundry and that helps clean them.

A fully sewn spiral wheel is for more aggressive buffing with a loose buffing wheel for the final polish, which is what you want for a wood handle.

Buffers are really handy around the shop and are no more dangerous than many other tools - just gotta remember to treat them with respect and BE CAREFUL!!
Thank you for the great points. Jim

Now just put one of these signs on it and your good to go! :D

E3Uz3ER.jpg

Buffing Arbor Assembly
View attachment 78296

You can get one of these buffing arbor assemblies for less than $200. It'll give you a little more clearance and you can have two different buffs going at a time. Use your motor to drive it. It also allows you to have 3 different speeds.
First time seeing one of these, great idea. I am trying to figure out where to put my vise now, stand I made yrs ago took the buffer. Might just use an old steel car wheel and steel tube.

Last edited:
Last question, noticed it vibrates a little while on but pretty good when turned off and winding down. Anything to worry about or normal due to balance?

I hate to say it but's from your 6" arbor extension. Too much slop where it slides over your motor shaft so when you tighten set screw it goes off center. I used a setup like that and never had a problem but it's annoying. I ended up buying a buffer from Eastwood Tools and love it.

Last question, noticed it vibrates a little while on but pretty good when turned off and winding down. Anything to worry about or normal due to balance?
Perhaps a photo of your setup? This vibration is with the buffing wheel on? As long as it's not bad, no biggie. Buffing wheels are not precision rated at all. Just be the buff is slightly out of balance. How long is the arbor that holes the buffing wheel to the motor shaft?

I'm "assuming" there is no vibration with bare shaft?

Perhaps a photo of your setup? This vibration is with the buffing wheel on? As long as it's not bad, no biggie. Buffing wheels are not precision rated at all. Just be the buff is slightly out of balance. How long is the arbor that holes the buffing wheel to the motor shaft?

I'm "assuming" there is no vibration with bare shaft?
Correct, no vibration with bare shaft, I got the 6 inch extension and most likely culprit. I tore it down, just going to save for a Rikon slow speed. I put vise back on my stand because it was greatly missed. I built a knife vise last couple days and needed my big vise, lol.

Back