do you charge customers for your mistakes?

SHOKR

catchy title? :p
couldnt find short description

my question is lets say everything goes well you would charge the customer $100, thats for 5hours of work, now you make a mistake and it takes you another hour to fix, would you still charge 100? or more?
or decide to work slower to avoide mistakes so takes you more time, you get my point

thanks

You can't bill the customer for your mistakes once a price has been quoted. Also, once you get a "price" set for your labor, for a specific knife of a certain quality, you've got to follow it. For example -

I make a 4" trailing point hunter out of 1095 steel. With most handle materials that are under $12 for the scales I charge a flat $250 including a horizontal sheath. Takes me 12 hours to make the knife, for example. Now, I've had some that ended up taking twice that long, but it doesn't make it a $500 knife. Just one that I had a hard time with. If I had the actual hour count for a dozen of these knives on a table for a sale, the price would range from $200 to $500 depending on how "fast" they went together and the number of mistakes I made and materials I had to re-buy. But, they're all worth the same $250 as a hunting knife for my market and level of ability regardless of how much trouble I had.

thanks guys for the clarification!

i never charged mistakes in pricing, but was starting to wonder...

Now, I've got a story that might be of use to you. I was building a large bowie with plans on selling it off the website or putting it up for sale locally a couple of years ago. 1095 steel, brass fittings, Dymondwood laminate handle scales. Very inexpensive parts, I think counting abrasives and heat treating equipment wear the total bill to me was going to be in the $70 range. I planned on selling it for $420. $350 in profit isn't bad for a week's work or so at the time. $400 for a 9.5" blade hand-made bowie with everything done "right" with it is about market around here.

The knife took me two weeks. I scratched the top of the nearly finished guard badly sometime during the solder job, had a handle scale slip, then had the knife climb the drill press bit and gouge the replacement scale, blade cupped out of heat treatment spine to edge which was very difficult to correct, etc. Then the knife was done, beautiful and I built a second sheath to go with it. It turned out to be once of the nicest bowies I had ever made, and looking at it I thought "Well, lets try to bump the price up and try to recoup some of my time." I tried listing it at $650 online for a long time, dropping the price incrementally. It just wouldn't sell, and if it had, I would then have had to build all my similar knives to my new $600 standard. It finally sold at exactly $400. It would have likely sold immediately at that price instead of sitting around for months, even.

Take what you will, but on pricing shenanigans I find it's best to focus on your integrity and play the "Long Game" and occasionally even lose money to build your brand.

A $300 knife is a $300 knife, if it took you a day or a month to make.... ;). That's a good thing when things go well and quickly.

It can also be bad... :)

thanks George

i think the 'well and quickly' for me is just fewer stupid mistakes lol :D

Being human can suck sometimes. It's the variable that is intangible and can bite you when you least expect it. Your word is your bond. At least it is supposed to be, and if you quote a price, the price remains. Customer requests for changes on the other hand.....

No argument there Eric :)

I was asking in regards of the knives i make without perior price determination. But the concept stands.
My mistakes are my problems

Back