Do you own an oscillating tool??

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
If so, then you own something that can be a great help with "hand" sanding!

This lupus stuff, has proven a challenge for many of the things I do. Hand sanding is a biggie....may hand hurt so bad I can hardly grip the sanding stick. So, I found something that has helped me tremendously. An oscillating tool! I found/purchased a universal dremel brand sanding pad (they all seem to have velcro on them), which I ground off to the rubber, and use a light coat of contact cement to "stick" the paper to the pad. It's tedious cutting out the sandpaper, but man is it ever speedy! At 600, I spent literally less then a 1/4 of the time I would otherwise spend hand sanding. Now, that being said, once done with the oscillating sander, I still finish by hand/with the sanding stick....but it's just a couple mins.

I happen to own a Makita battery operated oscillating tool, but any should work. Just thought I'd pass along the info.

There's a very short learning curve..... as in DO NOT press too hard, and train train your eye to see where the sandpaper is cutting. I like the pointed triangle shape of the sanding attachment.... it allow you to concentrate on a small spot/scratch, taking it out and blending the area. It's also easy to get into the plunge area with it.

John Wilson

That’s worth a try! Somebody here, forgive me for forgetting who, was also having good luck with a palm sander.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
If so, then you own something that can be a great help with "hand" sanding!

This lupus stuff, has proven a challenge for many of the things I do. Hand sanding is a biggie....may hand hurt so bad I can hardly grip the sanding stick. So, I found something that has helped me tremendously. An oscillating tool! I found/purchased a universal dremel brand sanding pad (they all seem to have velcro on them), which I ground off to the rubber, and use a light coat of contact cement to "stick" the paper to the pad. It's tedious cutting out the sandpaper, but man is it ever speedy! At 600, I spent literally less then a 1/4 of the time I would otherwise spend hand sanding. Now, that being said, once done with the oscillating sander, I still finish by hand/with the sanding stick....but it's just a couple mins.

I happen to own a Makita battery operated oscillating tool, but any should work. Just thought I'd pass along the info.

There's a very short learning curve..... as in DO NOT press too hard, and train train your eye to see where the sandpaper is cutting. I like the pointed triangle shape of the sanding attachment.... it allow you to concentrate on a small spot/scratch, taking it out and blending the area. It's also easy to get into the plunge area with it.
I bought this off of amazon with the intent of using it for “hand” sanding blades. I have not tried it yet but no reason it should not work well. It came with many different contours you can use. The sandpaper snaps in securely with a clip and no glue. Plus, you will be cutting squares for use which will be easier than tri-angles.B0E05264-657A-45DC-BD96-8DC773B1DDBC.jpegDA33FE8A-C5D9-42B4-B189-5D6F4C59314E.jpeg4BEA1D89-5EFD-4801-BB6C-B13445784240.jpeg5656CBA8-E36E-4C09-8E9E-F8EAD90086DA.jpeg1F85A781-6727-4FA4-AD07-40735F0F9C92.jpeg

Attachments

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
That's pretty darn sassy Chris!! I love it!! Do you remember what it's called.....that would make searching for it on Amazon a bunch easier! :)

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
That’s worth a try! Somebody here, forgive me for forgetting who, was also having good luck with a palm sander.
I've used both...the triangle sander gets crazy amount of oscillations compared to the palm sander and seems easier to see what's happening on the steel...and is adjustable speed! I mainly use it to dome the spine of larger blades and clean up plunge area....pre heat treat of course...

Walmart has the sander (hyper TOUGH brand...lol...we'll see...) for about 20$. McMaster Carr has packets of sanding triangles that are BIGGER than the ones that come with the sander. Actually a cool mis-fit...I like them because I can use them in the plunge area and the paper folds to get a nice clean corner!

These are velcro style attachment...slap 'em on and pull 'em off easily...$2.48 for 5 sheets. They seem to hold up well. have not tried them on hard steel.

soundmind

KNIFE MAKER
Any suggestions like this are helpful. My hands will involuntarily cramp and close up after a day in the shop. I gotta find some better work holding methods and hand sanding will do it to me, too. I like the large handle option on your sanding sticks.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
Any suggestions like this are helpful. My hands will involuntarily cramp and close up after a day in the shop. I gotta find some better work holding methods and hand sanding will do it to me, too. I like the large handle option on your sanding sticks.
Get you a piece of 1 inch square tube and cut a piece about 14-16 inches long. Wrap a two inch wide strip of sandpaper around the middle of it and secure it with a magnet. Wrap some cloth around each end as fat as you want for handles and secure with duct tape. Sand until you wear out a surface then rotate 90 degrees to a new surface. Continue until you have to rip off some paper and repeat. Works like a charm. Let me know if you want pics.