Don't you just hate it when...

Owl

KNIFE MAKER
You work hard to finish a new knife...
You think you did a pretty good job...
Then you take a picture and in the picture a big booger that you failed to see jumps out at you...
So then you have to go back to the shop to fix the booger...
And in the process of doing that you manage to create two MORE boogers!
Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy!eagle pin.jpg

All. The. Time.

But, you're going to have to point it out because I don't think anybody but you will ever notice if you don't. That is a seriously cool looking knife.

Thanks.
Scratches on the rear Corby head that I missed.
I went back and got them out with 400 and 600 grit paper but made scratches on the micarta that didn't look good to me.
Took me about 40 minutes to redo that part of the handle.
Everybody lived in the end.
The recipient loves the knife.

I did see the scratches on the rear corby, but I also know the camera adds 15 pounds. If I wasn't wearing my glasses and holding the knife under an inspection lamp I doubt I'd ever come close to seeing that in real life. But I feel your pain.

The hardest thing for me as a knifemaker was learning what I could fix, versus the blemishes where the cure is worse than the disease. I make it my life's mission to turn out the best knife I can. Part of that is making peace with knowing that sometimes the fix will make it three times worse and that this is the best of my ability at the moment. I think 99% of my growth as a maker has come from trying to live down mistakes on past knives and learning how to fix/avoid those mistakes on future knives.

You have to look real close to see anything that looks even a little off. I'd be tickled pink to get a knife like that and I hate being tickled.

Doug

Reactions: Owl
You work hard to finish a new knife...
You think you did a pretty good job...
Then you take a picture and in the picture a big booger that you failed to see jumps out at you...
So then you have to go back to the shop to fix the booger...
And in the process of doing that you manage to create two MORE boogers!
Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy!View attachment 71402
That is why I do not take pictures...

Reactions: Owl
Back