Double Wheel Hollow Grinder

SC_Knives

Came across a few pictures and videos of this setup and was wondering if anyone has used it or has plans of it? It looks interested to say the least.

Grinder.jpg

Can you imagine if that blade ever jammed? Bad things would happen very fast. You could certainly keep your plunges and grind lines perfect.

I have seen this before. The blade would not jamb from the way the wheels are turning, (look at the sparks). But it looks like it could easily get launched downward. Makes you want to wear a cup while grinding! :what!:

Lends a whole new meaning to learning curve!:31::biggrin:

I would be the guy who, for some reason, was able to get the blade between the wheels and into my forehead. Think I will pass on this one.

I saw a very similar setup (although very small wheels) on a video about a straight razor company. All their blades are ground on the same type of setup.

I think I'll pass on that. Come to think of it there was a man selling a grinding setup like that at the Blade Show a number of years back. It was all enclosed in a cabinet if I remember right.

$4000 plus shipping? For a couple buffing motors and some wheels? Not a chance.

I think I'd rather just buy 2 variable speed KMG's and stick them end to end. haha

The late Jimmy Lile used a set up like this but with if I remember correctly 18" wheels and use 190" belts.
A blank was inserted into the wheels from below at the heel and pulled thru it. With practice it works very well for production work. I've seen guys in the Lile shop turn out 80 blades in a day from blank to Heat treat. I've wondered if a flat platen set up on 2 KMG's wouldnt do the same thing???

God Bless
Mike

Looks like a baseball pitching machine lol. Is that wheel on the right just covered in sandpaper or can you not see the belt? There was one on craigs list here about 6 months ago some consignment shop had it , I started to go just to look at it , it was much larger and made for production.
Anthony

Has anyone ever tried back to back bench grinders. Just wondering what type of wheel would be best to establish the initital grind.

Back