Dust catch-pan at the grinder

C Craft

Anyone have pics of their dust catch-pan at the grinder. I want to make a catch pan that I can hook up to my shop vac and thus eliminate some of the dust. I have an idea of how maybe to build one but would love to see any pics some of you might have of your set-up!!! I have been just letting the dust go to the floor and cleaning off of the mat I have under it every so often but there has to be a better way than that!!

I hear these can be dangerous as mixing metal and wood dust as well as differant types of metals can cause explosive results or fires!! I wanted to do this also so I will be following this thread! Thought about putting a 5 gallon bucket with a divider on the lid inside bucket, have an in port (from grinder) into bucket, an out port (To vacuum) and put a couple inches of water in bucket.

It can be dangerous in the fact that a hot spark gets sucked into the shop vac. I am going to make a slurry bucket before the shop vac and I am not going to have it where it runs shop wide, just from the grinder to the vac/slurry bucket, sitting nearby! That is still not to say it can't be a bad idea.

I think where most folks get into trouble is using a shop wide system where it can allow for dust to build and or accumulate. When I am using it for the grinder it will be cleaned before the system is switched over to using it for handle dust!! That doesn't mean it is not a good idea to shut down and then go look in the can for potential problems before retiring for the day!!

I got an idea about how I want to build the catch pan at the grinder but was hoping to see some ideas in case I was missing something!!;)

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I took a section of aluminum rain gutter and made a catch pan that sits below the belt. I added a little hook right at the end under the drive wheel to keep the dust from shooting straight up. Most of the dust goes into the 5 gal bucket of water and then that little bit that clings to the belt mostly falls into this tray. Keeps my floor pretty clean. Plus, that fan is blowing outward to remove some of the floating dust. Not a great pic, just a still snagged from one of my youtube videos.

1520369590225.png

I don't use a vacuum system. At first I just put a 5 gallon bucket under my grinder. It probably caught 50% of the metal dust. Recently I put a rectangular metal air return under the grinder with a short duct extension terminating just above the bucket. I'd say I'm catching about 90% of the dust now. I wish I had done this earlier.

I don't use a vacuum system. At first I just put a 5 gallon bucket under my grinder. It probably caught 50% of the metal dust. Recently I put a rectangular metal air return under the grinder with a short duct extension terminating just above the bucket. I'd say I'm catching about 90% of the dust now. I wish I had done this earlier.

Pics sir!!

C Craft I've seen guys use 3-1/4"x10" To 4" round duct adapters under the wheel with a vacuum?? I never built one cause I had read about the dangerous problems with the dust.

Pics man Pics, you can't just throw out a 90% number and not show what it looks like!!

I am not sure I want to do the vacuum. If I can pull down 90% of the dust. I may not use the shop vac, for the grinder catch.

Either way I am working on the slurry bucket idea. I have had several shop vacs over the years and the fine dust killed them all. Here is a reference to another thread where I discussed this idea. https://knifedogs.com/threads/recommendation-on-shop-vac.43492/

In fact I just talked with Ed today as I wanted to make sure I was thinking this thing thru before I fire up the new shop vac I just bought!! It has always been fine dust that will kill them and the worst is sheet rock dust!

Last edited:
That is similer to what I was thinking except I was gonna put a divider on the lid. I like this idea better though especially since all that gunk accumulates the divider would get in the way!

I got an idea kickin around in my head, if I got time this weekend I am gonna work on it!!

Back