Dust Collection

KenH

Well, based on a suggestion from reading a recent dust collection thread I decided to change my setup around some. I moved it from center of room where the only dust collection was below the platen to the wall. There I took somebody's suggestion about adding a collection point behind the drive wheel. It does good. The funnel at back has the aluminum bracket at bottom so it can easy be moved to the SGA for collecting grinding dust.

We'll see how this works - if good then I'll clean things up a bit.
DustCollection.jpg

I haven't found much collects behind my grinder, mostly at the bottom where you have your "funnel". I have that same funnel!

The container below the platen funnel has a few inches of water to keep any sparks from going thru the pipe to the dust collector outside the wall.

Here's a "strainer" I added to the bottom of the funnel to prevent dropping stuff down the "rabbit hole". The aluminum plate prevents heavy grinding sparks from melting the plastic funnel.
IMG-4849.jpg

Here's what I've finally done and been pretty happy with it...tried to put everything that makes a bunch of dust in one place so it's easier to clean and just move a couple attachments. I have the big trap under my grinder but can move and turn it to work for my horizontal disc grinder. The other line into my dust collector is attached to the blue loc line and I can move that to everything I use...main grinder, horizontal grinder, disc sanders and the other loc line is attached to my shop vac and I use it mainly for my bandsaw but can also use it on my horizontal and disc grinder if I want. Both my shop vac and dust collector are vented outside into a water bucket

e195c4dbf085c4bf8bf6d2c1b0b74656.jpg
2f13c975afaa51e32a3baeceb9994a70.jpg
55f15ab4f163122908e6f0a70209ba1e.jpg
e32a41db0107a319d76e53ac1a03303c.jpg
72cfa7bda5c08c752a8366c17bab977f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Good setup, and that top pipe on the 2X72 helps catch the sparks that stick to the belt when grinding. Good deal. Now, on the disk grinders - which do you use the most, vertical or horizontal? I've been thinking of moving my disk grinder to horizontal.

Coach, I like that porta-band table. Is that something you built, or bought? Mine is a cobbled mess of angle iron I had laying around, but I wouldn’t mind having something a little better.

Good setup, and that top pipe on the 2X72 helps catch the sparks that stick to the belt when grinding. Good deal. Now, on the disk grinders - which do you use the most, vertical or horizontal? I've been thinking of moving my disk grinder to horizontal.
Thank you! I've had lots of trial and error and this is what I've settled on... I make slipjoints pretty much exclusively so I use both of them. I wouldn't have just one. I use the horizontal one for flattening my handle material (i tried on a vertical and it didn't work as well as i wanted) and the vertical one for squaring off bolsters, handle materials, and truing bolster shape

Coach, I like that porta-band table. Is that something you built, or bought? Mine is a cobbled mess of angle iron I had laying around, but I wouldn’t mind having something a little better.
That table is a SWAG table, i think it was the 1st version they made. I like it but i did a mod that i think makes it better...i cut all the way through the table and welded the back shut so i can do blade changes without having to remove the table. I just remove the trash can from underneath, release the blade and pull it out through the front. I actually have an extra SWAG table laying around that I never used if youre interested in it (I bought 2 in case my modification didn't work like i wanted!haha) The table can be clamped in a vise or i just used some square tubing to build a holder for it so it sits a little higher and to be able to clamp my dust collection stuff to the top

That table is a SWAG table, i think it was the 1st version they made. I like it but i did a mod that i think makes it better...i cut all the way through the table and welded the back shut so i can do blade changes without having to remove the table. I just remove the trash can from underneath, release the blade and pull it out through the front. I actually have an extra SWAG table laying around that I never used if youre interested in it (I bought 2 in case my modification didn't work like i wanted!haha) The table can be clamped in a vise or i just used some square tubing to build a holder for it so it sits a little higher and to be able to clamp my dust collection stuff to the top
Yeah, I am kinda interested if you have one you want to get rid of. I need something a little better than what I have now. If you have a price for it, etc, and you want to get rid of it, send me a message and we can hash out all the gory details.

Ken, kudos for building a innovative collection system, pretty nifty.
Two thoughts:
- I'd be a bit cautious about hot material entering the plastic ducting at the bottom of your 2x72 platen. If you are really hogging off material, those red hot shavings will carry through the system quite a ways.
- While a point source collection system is helpful in minimizing dust where it's generated, the other culprit is ambient fugitive dust that spreads throughout the shop. Having a dust collector that collects the fine airborne particles, <2.5micron, is also important.
Bob

The container at the bottom of the funnel has a couple inches of water to kill any sparks that might be there. You're correct, without the water sparks can go thru the ductwork big time. I'd worry about live sparks getting into the dust collector without the water in the bottom of the container.

Yeah, I am kinda interested if you have one you want to get rid of. I need something a little better than what I have now. If you have a price for it, etc, and you want to get rid of it, send me a message and we can hash out all the gory details.
Sorry, just saw this and we're on vacation...I'll figure out how much and send ya a message when I get back if you're still interested

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Back