Dust collector or box fan?

Alden Cole

I am needing some sort of air filtration system, but am unsure whether a dust collector, air filter, box fan, or squirrel cage filter would be best for my shop. Will be using it to blow away micarta fumes and suck in dust at the grinder. Probably don't need it anywhere other than at the grinder. Thoughts?

If you use a flat platen like I do, what I do is have a shop vac with the narrow nozzle directed right up the platen about 1/2" from the bottom wheel and I've ground handles without my respirator and don't smell anything, so I know it gets most of it.Untitled.png

PS - I do use a respirator for all grinding, though.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm planning on doing a box fan. I have been using a shop vac, but it hasn't been cutting it for me.

Alden, I've struggled with this filtration issue for years. Here's a KD posting describing my approach to the problem.
For the past couple years this filter has worked well for me.

I use a Dust Deputy hooked up to my shop vac and a box fan with a filter next to my grinder to catch some of the finer stuff. It it works well enough but would probably work better if I could build some kind of containment around the grinder also.

One thing I should add about using the shop vac. The filters have to be clean for this to be effective. I put a clean filter on, and then vacuum out the used filter to clean it and repeat many times before having to buy a new filter, saving on filter costs.

Box fan with furnace filters to filter the finer particles/fumes in the air. Dust collector to grab the bigger dust. I got one of the Harbor Freight Dust cyclone things (cheaper dust deputy) and it actually works very well, even with the lighter dust/fluff from home made micarta, which is like cotton ball fluffiness.

One thing I should add about using the shop vac. The filters have to be clean for this to be effective. I put a clean filter on, and then vacuum out the used filter to clean it and repeat many times before having to buy a new filter, saving on filter costs.
I definitely need to clean the filter on mine.

I just put in a dust collector and have it piped to the grinder and surface grinder 10000% improvement . I have not had to clean the grinding room since . Harbor Fright , I don't use the collection bag I just piped it outside

Here is what I use. At one time I used a shop vac on the end of my grinder ,but started two of them on fire and that gets real exciting as they act like forge with a blower. So now I hook a vac up to a 5 gallon steel pail with a deflector in it.

I use an old furnace blower with a filter on it with a pillow case cover. When it gets dirty just remove,wash with soap and water and re install on the box.4 MG_5088.JPG5 IMG_5091.JPG6 IMG_5090.JPG1 IMG_5092.JPG2 IMG_5093.JPG3 IMG_5094.JPG

Here is what I use. At one time I used a shop vac on the end of my grinder ,but started two of them on fire and that gets real exciting as they act like forge with a blower. So now I hook a vac up to a 5 gallon steel pail with a deflector in it.

I use an old furnace blower with a filter on it with a pillow case cover. When it gets dirty just remove,wash with soap and water and re install on the box.View attachment 79427

Nice, this gives me an idea to mount this on my wall and send the dust outside. Not to mention smoke, etc.

Amazon has one of these https://www.amazon.com/3-3-Motor-Blower-Replaces-702112231/dp/B07SNYXBHV

Haven't been wild about the different cyclone type dust collectors due to the sparks/fire issues. I've caught my 4x36 on fire from sawdust buildup and light metal grinding. I can only imagine what could happen from my 2x72.

My dust deputy clone from HF works well and if you put water in the bottom of the bucket, will help with combustion issues. I could also just do the metal sparks into a water bucket below the grinder, too and put the vacuum nozzle off to the side.

Just a couple of comments on filter fans & motors. Filters like this are a great for removing air born crud.
1635197757273.png
However, keep in mind two things: the filter will likely not pick up all the grit, and the stuff that bypasses the filter will be deposited on the squirrel cage fins (particularly with only a single filter element). That can lead to unbalancing and a need to clean the fins periodically.
But, perhaps more troublesome is grit getting into the exposed windings and bearings of this kind of open winding motor. I've had several setups like this and anything other than a totally enclosed motor will likely (eventually) fail.
One way to help stop particulates from bypassing the filter is use two stage stacked filter elements. I routinely use a MERV 8 over the top (upstream) of a MERV 13 filter. The MERV 8 filter stops the "big stuff" first, then the MERV 13 acts kinda like a HEPA level filter (stacking 3 elements would even be better). Monitoring the amount of stuff collected in the filter is critical, a loaded filter does nothing to collect air borne crud. I'll routinely pull mine and blow them off outside with compressed air. I change out my filters about yearly.

Last edited:
This really gets me thinking, my detached garage is my shop (dedicated). I wear a half face respirator and just shop vac after working. My delicate materials are behind closed cabinet doors. What is purpose of these elaborate vacuum systems? I vacuum everything when done, all machines without dust cover on.

It helps keep the dust out of the air. Very fine particles will float and settle later. If you get it off the grinder with the vacuum, you save the time of vacuuming later on. I also found that using a dust deputy type of thing cuts down a TON on the fine dust that goes into your vacuum bag and clogs your filters.

What is purpose of these elaborate vacuum systems?
It can be very hard to tell what the level of airborne dust you may have. Try a simple test - place some kind of smooth hard material, say a chunk of white plastic, in an out of the way place near bench height (or on the floor). Let is sit for a few weeks and see how much stuff is deposited.
In my shop I have a lot of air borne crud that settles out all over the place. Even with the whole room filtration system I've built, I still keep my precision machines - lathe and mill - covered with an old bed sheet when not in use. It's amazing how dirty they have gotten just from air borne particles.

I also found that using a dust deputy type of thing cuts down a TON on the fine dust that goes into your vacuum bag and clogs your filters.
I agree, that's a good method of picking up the larger material coming off a grinder before it gets to a filter - and it reduces the fire hazard.

I use a Dust Right 650CFM with a nozzle right at the platen. Then I use a WEN filter hanging on the rafters, and it has both the 5 and 1 micron filters. This works well for my tiny shop.

Resurrecting this thread. I've been wanting some air circulation and dust reduction in my small shop, so I got a blower and ducted it outside. The outside vent has a flap (airflow out only) and screen (critters). I caulked all the edges. Ignore my great wiring, I'm about to put in a switch.

It works great! I have a small shop and it clears the air out in no time. Hoping this goes a long way to reducing the amount of dust. I'll likely have to blow out the motor from time to time.

Image00001.jpg
Image00002.jpg

Back