Elements added to steel and the effects they have.

Iron (Fe) - The basis for all the steels.
Carbon (C) - When Carbon is added to Iron it becomes steel. Carbon has an effect on hardness of course but it alos effects strength and wear resistance.
Manganese- (Mn) Manganese mainly effects hardenability but also contributes to strength and wear resistance.
Silicon (Si) - Silicon is used in very small amounts and for basically the same reasons as Manganese.
Chromium (Cr) - Chromium effects hardenability but is mainly used as a carbide former. These carbides help with wear resistance. When a steels Chromium content is 13% or higher the steel is considered stainless.
Nickel (Ni) - Nickel is mainly added for toughness but also has an effect on strength and fatigue resistance.
Molybdenum (Mo) Molybdenum effects hardenability, strength, & toughness. It gives air hardening steels the ability to harden in air. In large amounts and in conjunction with Chromium it is responsible for secondary hardening characteristics.
Vanadium (V) - Vanadium is also a carbide former and mainly effects hardenability & the carbides it helps form have an effect on wear resistance.
Tungsten (W) - The W is for Wolfram which, if I remember correctly, is the original term for this element. It effects hardness, strength, & toughness. In amounts of 4% or more it effects abrasion resistance.
Niobium (Nb) Niobium is an effective microalloying ingedient is steels. Niobium causes the formation of Niobium carbide & Niobium nitride within the structure of the steel which improve grain refinement, retard recrystallization, & facilitate precipitation hardening in the steel. In turn, these effects imcrease toughness, strength, & formability.
Cobalt (Co) - Cobalt is added to increase corrosion resistance, wear resistance, & heat resistance.
I'm sure I left some out but I can always come back and edit more stuff in.

Good info Darrin - I'm looking forward to all the info that will be in this thread.

Ken H>

Darrin , You are doing a great job , and I think you are a fine asset to this forum . good luck Bubba-san

Last edited:
Back