Erin Burke Harpoon Bowie in Desert Ironwood

Erin Burke

SOLD - Erin Burke Harpoon Bowie in Desert Ironwood

Good morning Dogs. I'm calling it a Harpoon Bowie (because it feels like a Bowie)... though I suppose a more appropriate terminology would be a Harpoon Recurve Fighter. This knife has quite a presence, with a thickness of ~0.215" directly in front of the guard... but due to a thin grind and aggressive distal-taper, feels quite manageable. The blade balances out ~0.44" in front of the copper seppa.

The guard, spacer and pin are mild steel with a bit of a gun-blue/bleach/vinegar finish to them up. Inspiration for the deep fluting came thanks to some of the Lurquins I've seen around these parts lately. :thumbup:

The price for this one is SOLD shipped within the US. Please contact me concerning shipping outside the US. Buyer is responsible for determining the legality of this knife within their state or country of residence. I prefer payment via Paypal. If interested -- or if you just have some questions or comments -- feel free to shoot me a PM or email. My goal is 100% satisfaction; so if for any reason the buyer is not happy with this knife, please ship it back undamaged within 30-days and I'll send a full refund.

NOTE: The price above is for the knife only. If the buyer would prefer that I build a sheath, I would be happy to discuss pricing.

Some Stats:
Length: 16-3/8"
Blade: 10-3/16" (Tip to choil), 0.215" thick at the guard
Weight: 459g (1.01lbs)
Steel: Differentially Heat-Treated W2
Handle: Desert Ironwood Burl w/ domed Mild Steel pin
Fittings: Mild Steel with copper Seppa

9705287745_8b4ef04b06_b.jpg

9705287889_9b59f7b10c_b.jpg

9708522324_8311cfe49f_b.jpg

This next photo is not so great... I had a terrible time getting a good shot of the hamon on the finished knife. It is very active, but I did not etch it super-deep. I wanted to keep the hamon subtle, which means it takes very specific lighting conditions to photograph it.
9705288123_053cf9a063_b.jpg

My original intent was to produce a WIP thread for this knife... but I realized that I hadn't really done anything that hadn't already been explained better in a Wheeler thread somewhere. ;)
If you're interested though, you can explore photos of this build (from sketch to completion) HERE. I tried to include relevant info in the photo descriptions.

Again, please feel free to email me with any questions or comments.

Erin

Last edited:
Erin - you should make that a WIP. I'm sure some of the steps have been covered other places, you do an excellent job of documenting your work. I've got a few comments/questions.

1. Is the scale weight shown in pounds? That's a good touch showing how the weight changes as blade is ground.

2. Progress #120: "then I kick the dog" - how did that chip happen? You did a good job of repairing - looks just as good.

3. What prompted the 3 holes in the blade? less weight? style?

4. I'm impressed with the spacer and guard - the copper washer in front really sets it off. You did some really nice detail work there.

5. I really like your comments on some of the photos - good humor as well as explaining what's going on. good job!

Ken H>

Back