Etching with Acid problem/question

pairomedicsfish

I need some insight on why something may have happened. While working on some 52100, I etched my mark on the blade with Ferric Cloride. I did not use the electro etch system, I simply masked the blade, applied my stencil, and allowed the etchant to work. I achieved a stunning and crisp mark. I washed the blade with fresh water and dish soap. I MAY or MAY NOT have used sodium bicarb in the wash, I just cant remember. After the knife sat for a week or so, the makers mark "bled out" and became a random blotch of black. This seeping seemed to continue....Am I right in thinking that that I did not neutralize ther acid well enough? Further, I am going to be working on some 440C. I cannot find ANYONE in central florida that will laser etch my mark, will the same method of acid etching perfom okay on 440C?

I've never tried to put a makers mark on with FC. I can't say for sure but I doubt that it will work. The reason is that it doesn't allow for much depth. When I electro etch my mark I get a mark .007"-.008" deep. FC is pretty much on the surface and will wear off pretty quick in normal use.
Like I said, I'm not 100% sure of this but that's my best guess. And yes, the "bleeding" was probably due to inadequate neutralization. If you do manage to learn to get a good mark by using FC I would be interested in the results and methods.

I've never used FC for permanent markings, I have used it to test a graphic design or template an image on a blade before burning it in with my electro etcher. You can build a simple etcher with the info you can get here:
http://www.tacticallysharp.com/reviews--info.html

I have seen a Laser Service offering at Woodcraft when I was in Orlando. I have a gunsmith friend that engraves my mark with a CNC Diamond engraver for my high end knives. You could also check with a jeweler, they engrave metal items also.

I believe nitric acid is used to etch-engrave steel. I don't know where you'd find it but that's something I don't think I'd want in my shop.
I messed around with some muriatic acid years ago, and it wasn't the same stuff that went in pools,this jug came right out of the drain on a rail car.
about 6-10 months later I noticed a lot of stuff corroding in and around my shop,especially everything made of copper. I'm assuming this stuff was bleeding right thru the container so I got rid off it at the next chemical collection my town had. that's my experience with having acids around.

I use ferric chloride to etch my mark also, you can get a good deep crisp mark with it on carbon steel, but it takes awhile (my typical process requires 1 1/2 hours and requires 180 grit sandpaper to remove if I screw up). I spray with ammonia afterwards, which neutralizes the FC. It sounds like you forgot to neutralize.

I've never tried it on stainless (except for accidentally spilling some on my spyderco once). You might want to look into salt water etching or electro-etching (which are likely the same thing). Another possibility would be a stronger etchant, but this comes with risk...

Thanks for the replies! I found a shop about 90 miles away that will laser etch my blades for $15 per blade. Sound reasonable? I may electro etch though, because of the distance.

I'm pretty sure USA knife maker has an electro etcher for around $100 and simple to use on there site but I agree with Justin that will add up in a hurry.

Solid advice. I did, at one time, use an etcher that I McGyuvered from a power supply....Worked ok, I just need to bite the bullet and buy one.

I built mine with a nudge from some guys on here following Ernie and Chris Crawfords plans and glad I did saved me a little money and it was rewarding. If I can help let me know

Alright! Built an etcher... The problem I must have had with the last try was a voltage issue. I will post pics soon, but the short story is... Stainless bolt, rubber cover, power supply that gives 26vdc and 2.3 amps....worked friggin awesome!

Back