Ever had one of those days.

Cubane

Today did not turn out well in the work shop. I had peened some bone onto one of the liners last weekend and thought I would peen the other side before I did anything else. Thinking I'll just get it done quickly I was a little too enthusiastic with the hammer and this was the result.

attachment.php

On top of that I have no more bone to slab up so I'll have to head down to the butchers, boil it up and leave it to degrease for a couple of weeks so it'll be a month before that one is finished. This one hasn't been going along perfectly. I forgot to stamp the blades before I did the HT as well. This is the last one I was doing before I got my fly cutter too so the nail nicks haven't been cut yet and it isn't for a customer or anything so there is no rush on it at least.

To make things worse after I stuffed up that handle I moved onto another slipjoint that I was making ages ago but had stuffed up the blade. I had finally gotten around to making the new blade for it and got it all ready for first assembly. Got the blade in there with the spring and went to move it to the half stop position and the spring bent. I hadn't gotten around to heat treating it when I stuffed the blade originally. I have bent it back and I'll HT it tonight, hopefully it will work out ok.

After that I decided it was just not a day for me to be in the workshop.

Attachments

• Image048 (Medium).jpg
    Image048 (Medium).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 100
Is peening that thing you do with a ball peen hammer?

I always wondered...

:sleeping dog:

Is peening that thing you do with a ball peen hammer?

I always wondered...

:sleeping dog:

Yes I was using a ball peen hammer. I was using the flat side when it stuffed up though. I thought I would give it some quick hard taps to expand the pin into the hole before I mushroomed the head of the pin out.. It didn't turn out very well for me at all :( This was the first time I have used bone before though so you could hardly call me an expert.

Alistair

Yeh, I had one last week.
I hardened a batch of 154cm and turned the oven off to cool down and when I went to turn it on to Temper it wouldn't come on. The switch had gone out. Put a new switch in after I got one from the factory and F------ up and blew the controler out.
New controls will be here tomorrow. Then I can Temper those blades.
Sorry for your splitting those scales it is a real bummer

Thanks for the clarification, Alistair. Sorry you had a bad day. They do make you appreciate the boring ones more!

Yeh, I had one last week.
I hardened a batch of 154cm and turned the oven off to cool down and when I went to turn it on to Temper it wouldn't come on. The switch had gone out. Put a new switch in after I got one from the factory and F------ up and blew the controler out.
New controls will be here tomorrow. Then I can Temper those blades.
Sorry for your splitting those scales it is a real bummer

Man that sucks. At least I only cost myself a couple of bucks worth of bone and a few weeks delay. It could have been some Mammoth or some Mother or Pearl. The second slip joint had been waiting for me to do a replacement blade for over a year so I guess it can wait a bit longer still :)

Alistair

Glue it back together. Daub a little leather dye on it and call it an artifact. :D

Unfortunately we all have days like that from time to time. I made one lock back folder years ago from scratch. What I learned is I do not have the patience to make folders not to mention everytime I put the knife in my pocket my pants would end up around my knees. I did start the fad of the saggy pants except I never did have a shirt the would cover my ass.

I could be having the worst day I ever had and then when I read one of Mr. Richard's posts and finally finish laughing I have forgotten what a day I was having.

Bad days can sure stop production. When everything seems to be going in the gutter I just back off and head for the computer. An hour or so of knife dogs usually gets me back in perspective. If nothing else I get a few laughs.

Cubane, it seems that it happens when you have no replacementsLuckily a customer isn't waiting for the knife. Things will be better tomorrow.

Larry

Well got back to the grindstone today and things went a lot better. Got 2 slippies cut out and profiled and another blade profiledto them fit up onto the liners, just have to grind the bevels and that is ready for HT, not bad for 3 hours work. I have been going back to a few older projects that didn't work out for whatever reason and fixing them up. Hopefully it will help to have an extra couple of knives on the table at the next show I have a table at.

Back